best shipping for frozen hides?

Submitted by Evelyn on 3/20/02. ( millstaxidermy@aol.com ) 64.12.96.201

I have only once shipped a frozen raccoon with UPS and it cost $45. And that was within my state. I now need to ship some rattlers out of state. UPS quoted me the price at around $35 which seems awfully high for a 3lb package next day delivery. Does anybody know of a cheaper way to send frozen animals? Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

2 day

This response submitted by larry on 3/20/02. ( ) 12.34.248.29

I went to my local hardware store and got a roll of insulation. It works well enough that when I send 2 day nothings ever thawed out. It itches a little, but for half the shipping price I can scratch.
Larry

Larry Is Right

This response submitted by Old Fart on 3/20/02. ( ) 64.122.57.23

Wrap your frozen snakes in tinfoil and then in the insulation. I have never tried it in the middle of summer but this time of year it is great and I have never lost a specimen.

I learned this method from John Bellucci(sorry if I misspelled it, John). We had a very interesting conversation at a convention, many years ago. For those of you who know John, you are probably laughing right now and you don't even need to know the details of the event. For those of you who have never met John B., you have been seriously deprived. Not only does he posess a wealth of knowledge that he freely shares, he is one of the funniest people I have ever met.

thanks

This response submitted by Evelyn on 3/20/02. ( millstaxidermy@aol.com ) 205.188.209.40

thanks Larry and Old Fart. Will take your advise. We have plenty of insulation at home from an old building. I guess that would work just fine.

bubble wrap

This response submitted by mm on 3/21/02. ( mmaier@speednetllc.com ) 198.31.179.39

I ship a lot of frozen critters, we use bubble wrap first around the specimen and then house insulation. I have had several customers tell me the critter was still frozen when received.
Mark

BUILDING INSULATION

This response submitted by ROB COATES on 3/23/02. ( rc5766@gisco.net ) 64.19.82.154

I live in NY state, I get wild boars shipped to me frozen from all over the country. People in Georgia,Texas, ect. ship them wrapped in regular building insulation,ship on monday REGULAR GROUNG UPS, Takes them 4 days to get here. Then I have to leave them out for 2 days to thaw them enough to open,and flesh them! Try it it works. Remember that the farther north the box goes the colder it gets. UPS trailers are kept out side where it's cold. Regular post gets stored inside where it's warm. Be sure to ship UPS

BUILDING INSULATION

This response submitted by ROB COATES on 3/23/02. ( rc5766@gisco.net ) 64.19.82.154

I live in NY state, I get wild boars shipped to me frozen from all over the country. People in Georgia,Texas, ect. ship them wrapped in regular building insulation,ship on monday REGULAR GROUNG UPS, Takes them 4 days to get here. Then I have to leave them out for 2 days to thaw them enough to open,and flesh them! Try it it works. Remember that the farther north the box goes the colder it gets. UPS trailers are kept out side where it's cold. Regular post gets stored inside where it's warm. Be sure to ship UPS

Ship on a Monday!

This response submitted by Scott on 3/25/02. ( sschuh@grapevine.net ) 216.117.39.16

I sent out a prairie chicken and paid for 2nd day priority and the post office quaranteed,yeh it will get there in 2 days.Well,it didn't so it sat all weekend and then Monday was a holiday so I refunded the money to the guy.I was out about $11.00.I had it frozen,wrapped in insulation and inside of a styrofoam box and it was a bloody mess.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu