Price On Moose Heads

Submitted by Rod on 4/2/02. ( ) 209.128.34.4

I am a taxidermist in Newfoundland. We have alot of American Moose hunters that come here to hunt each fall. I am doing Full shoulder moose heads with detachable antlers For 750.00 Can. which is about 475.00 US. I get alot of hunters that tell me they can get them done cheaper in the U.S.. I Do a real professional job. Skins are tanned
in LUtan F And Shaved very thin, and glued on to the form with Buckeye hide paste. Ears have McKenzie earliners installed
and a bio optics eye. I am trying to raise my prices But from what I am told by hunters they will take them home and get them done cheaper in The U.S. if they are any higher. Since I depend on moose and Caribou for my living i will not raise my price. Could somebody give me a honest prise range for full shoulder moose heads with detachable antlers including the cost of tanning in the U.S.
thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Hmm.

This response submitted by Dan on 4/2/02. ( ) 204.203.54.144

Well, I'm not sure where these hunters are taking their moose, but I must say the quality must certainly be lacking in the mounts they are having done in the U.S. My price is $875 for a moose + $75 for the detachable antlers. $450 for a deer. Obviously there are different geographic zones in which people live and do have certain price "tolerances" but I can see where you may need to raise your prices. You know, mount one moose instead of two for the same money. If you are using quality products and doing nice mounts. Raise it! I really find it hard to believe these hunters are paying $475 for a moose-JUNK!

Do a search on Taxidermist Websites

This response submitted by Greg on 4/2/02. ( ) 64.121.136.10

Do an internet search on Taxidermist websites. Some of them publish price lists. It'll give you a good idea of pricing in different areas. Here is a link for one near me...http://www.taxidermystudios.com/pl1.html...They charge $1300 for a moose head.....Good luck.....

moose head $

This response submitted by carl tregre on 4/2/02. ( ) 204.181.185.53

your $ is ridiculously low for a moose the tanning and supplies cost that much i get $1200 for a sho. mt. plus $150 for detachable antlers

If you

This response submitted by Roger on 4/2/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.234.133.183

Were charging $750 US, you would not be over-charging your customer, assuming that your moose mount is "journeyman" quality. If anything, it sounds as if your customers are better at bargaining than you are. I would love to see all of the moose come over here to Montana for the taxidermy work, but I charge considerably more than $750 for a moose without detachable antlers and feel the customer is getting a bargain. You know what your work is worth; charge accordingly and get paid to do your best quality job. If you don't think your price is fair, your customer definitely won't.

Rod

This response submitted by Richard on 4/2/02. ( ) 63.27.160.2

I am a taxidermist and have hunted Newfoundland three times. The thing i remember most was everything costed a lot more up there. Why are your Moose so cheap? You know what a non resident Moose and or Caribou license and hunt cost, big bucks. Your customers are bullcraping you and chiseling you down. They must be reading you as fearfull or just dumb or both. You would make more money with a lot less agrivation and work if you provided a very good prepping and salting service, so they could get their trophies home in good condition. The average price around me is 950.00 to 1250.00 for a Moose, one older guy is charging 1500.00 , thats in American money!
You should have left your email address, i think you would of got more helpfull business and interesting info.
There are taxidermists down here getting more money for deer than you are getting for Moose,American money. Mike Boyce in Reno Nevada charges 725.00 for deer.

Thanks Guys

This response submitted by Rod on 4/3/02. ( rod.fudge@sympatico.ca ) 209.128.34.4

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I see from the responce that I am undercharging and I have to do something about it.
Appreciate the info.
Rod

ROD

This response submitted by Mary Ann on 08/20/2002. ( ma0201aol.com ) 38.156.43.250

I am interested in purchasing a Moose head for my home in VT.
If you are selling any, please contact me via e-mail..with details of size and price.
We are in a Moose area and would like to mount a head over our fireplace.

ROD

This response submitted by Mary Ann on 08/20/2002. ( ma0201aol.com ) 38.156.43.250

I am interested in purchasing a Moose head for my home in VT.
If you are selling any, please contact me via e-mail..with details of size and price.
We are in a Moose area and would like to mount a head over our fireplace.

Before you change pricing

This response submitted by Ed on 11/19/2002. ( Ed_Gundrum@attbi.com ) 24.61.251.56

Rod,

I'm interested in a Moose head for my place on Moose Pond. Please contact me via email (ed_gundrum@attbi.com). Also, any idea as to shipping costs to either Massachusetts or Maine?

Regards,
Ed

moose

This response submitted by stephen butkovich on 11/21/2002. ( sbuck56@yahoo.com ) 208.184.43.91

Rod, I am interested in buying a moose for my parents house in Vermont. Please contact me if you can help. Thank you

Moose with your chocalate moose

This response submitted by Frank Bakton on 01/21/2003. ( baktonious@hotmail.com ) 67.80.62.218

ROD

Im opening up a dessert shop in new orleans....i nead some moose heads asap...black, brown, white...kidding. anything you have! Dead I hope and stuffed. My shop is called Moose's moose.
i hope you can help me out.

Frank Bakton

Moose with your chocalate moose

This response submitted by Frank Bakton on 01/21/2003. ( baktonious@hotmail.com ) 67.80.62.218

ROD

Im opening up a dessert shop in new orleans....i nead some moose heads asap...black, brown, white...kidding. anything you have! Dead I hope and stuffed. My shop is called Moose's moose.
i hope you can help me out.

Frank Bakton

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu