Competition ?, I'm an idiot, Is this pose possible?

Submitted by Brad on 4/17/02. ( ) 198.26.132.99

I'll trade the shame here for hopefully some good advice. I mounted my first competition mount the other day and have been grooming it constantly. I worried about all the detailed stuff. So much so that I put the eyes in backwards. The deer is turned one way and the white bands indicate he's looking in the other direction. It doesn't look bad and I can soften the blow with a nictitatiing membrane, but am I totally lost because this might be an anatomical impossibility? Personnally, I would argue that a deer can and does certainly move his eyes independently of his head on occaision. I think the best example could be the old "peek-a-boo" throwing the head up to catch you moving. I bet he looks at you from the side a little too. Anyway, tell me what you think and what this means to my "prized" first competition entry. ....And it was looking so damn good too.
Brad

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

possible

This response submitted by JEM on 4/17/02. ( ) 208.48.229.66

There is a slit second when this happens. Deer like every other mammal move their eyes before their head. You do the same thing- if your head is turned to the left and you hear a load sudden noise to the right your eyes begin moving a milli second before your head does.
The rest of your pose might not reflect this however.
Given where you are in the process and the fact that it is your first competition piece I recommend you leave it as it is, compete and see what you learn.

Reset your eyes

This response submitted by Evelyn on 4/17/02. ( millstaxidermy@aol.com ) 152.163.188.67

Why not resoak the eyes and set them right. You are not running out of time are you? Take a very wet papertowel or washcloth and lay it over the eyes. Wrap seran wrap or any other plastic wrap around it and leave it there at least overnight. Check the next day to see whether the hide and clay have resoften enough. Then dig out those eyes and set them right. I had to do that on several competition mounts before and I am glad I took the time to do it. Remember it is those little things that blow a ribbon for you. A point here and a point there soon will add up to a lost place.

Brad, Brad, Brad

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 4/17/02. ( ) 205.188.209.11

Who the heck ever told you that deer cant turn the head one way while the eyes go the other? Gosh, you guys, this stuff isnt THAT hard! Honest! OF COURSE a deer can turn his head to the left, yet focus his eyes the opposite way. You know, deer DO come in turns besides semi sneak left, and upright right, etc. All kidding aside, a deer can focus his eyes to any direction regardless of the direction his head is turn. The eyes turn in unison with eachother, thats all. Oh yeah, and put those membranes in there the right way, not to hide the sclera!

Thank you all

This response submitted by Brad on 4/18/02. ( ) 198.26.132.99

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll post another one in two weeks and tell you how I did.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu