Slow drying Bison

Submitted by Tamie on 5/8/02. ( ) 67.225.132.31

I mounted a bison last Wednesday (May 1). The hide was tanned by a commercial tannery and they did a pretty good job thinning it. It has been a week now and there are areas of the hide that are still not dry. Mainly around the neck and ears. I've had a fan on it for several days but it is still flexible. I know the hair is really thick, but I didn't realize it was going to take this long to dry. Any suggestions would be great....I'm really worried about it starting to rot or mold.

Also, the fur feels a little a dirty. I don't want to get the bison too wet cleaning it for obvious reasons mentioned above. Anyone out there have any luck with powder pet shampoo that you brush in and off, or the pet wet wipes?

Thank you.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Let it dry

This response submitted by Paul on 5/8/02. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 68.38.185.144

one week for a bison, way to soon. I let deer dry for two to three weeks before finishing. Give it two or three weeks at least, thats a heavy hided animal. As far as cleaning finished mounts, after they are throughly dried, a good brushing of the hair, then there are a lot of wipe or spray on cleaners sold by mostly all supply companys you could use.

engineer student

This response submitted by suleyman murat aslan on 08/06/2002. ( by_su_mu_as@yahoo.com ) 212.253.178.32

sinanbey mah. yenisehir cad. no:43 kat/4 inegöl/bursa/turkey

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu