antler burr

Submitted by Tracy on 08/14/2002. ( ) 65.121.80.1

Hi,I'am brand new at Taxidermy and i have a question about antler burr's i have some horns that i would like to mount but i will need to aquire a cape.(i checked archives,no luck there)how do i match the size of the antler burr to a new cape and know it will work?will a smaller bucks burr skin stretch around a mature bucks peticle?thank you for your time.....Tracy

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

cape size

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 08/14/2002. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.140.225.43

Around here in PA when I need a cape replacement I know that most deer that are mounted are usually 17"-18" necks. The racks are of normal size nad not any kind of a record book buck.

The one thing to remember that a spike buck nine out of ten times won't work with a 8 pointer LOL. Your average is only 16"-19" necks. The skin usually wraps around the burr with no problems if there is you can cut the skin bigger to make it fit. It's not a major problem.

Tracy, Check the Archives

This response submitted by George on 08/14/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.20

There's tons of info on exactly how to cut the hide if necessary in there. Just type your question in the "What do you want to know block" on the opening page.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu