cleaned skull--smelly horns

Submitted by ken on 08/28/2002. ( taxiken1@cs.com ) 152.163.189.104

A customer called with a cleaned (not smelly) buffalo skull and the detached (smelly) horns. I have never had to deal with horns, just antlers. What should be done to horns to remove odor before gluing horns to cores. I suggested soaking horns in 50% solution of denatured alcohol overnight but then thought I had better inquire here to keep from giving bad advise. Thanks, Ken

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Same problem

This response submitted by Becky P on 08/28/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.106

except with a ram. Would like to know the solution also. Thanks,BP

Same problem

This response submitted by Becky P on 08/28/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.106

except with a ram. Would like to know the solution also. Thanks,BP

Smelly Horns

This response submitted by Tim McLagan on 09/01/2002. ( tim@mclaganstaxidermy.com ) 66.62.152.11

Ken and BP,

Try soaking in warm soapy water for a couple houre, then scrub clean with a bristle brush, rinse with clear water. Then sprinkle borax in side the horns and let air dry, that should do the trick, it works for me,hope this helps, Tim McLagan

Dave

This response submitted by Dave Powers on 09/08/2002. ( ) 199.247.235.29

A quick and efficient method is to rinse the inside of the horns (sheep, bison, goats) with a formaldehyde solution (40%). For a small quantity of formaldyhe your customer can inquire with the local pharmacist (make sure they let the pharmacist know what it is for as they don't usually dispense formaldehyde). Let the solution sit for 10 minutes. Boil the skull (even if it looks clean) to remove the oils trapped in the core to prevent odour reoccurring or future problems with insects around the bases of the horns.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu