Bear questions

Submitted by Mike on 09/16/2002. ( prkguy@aol.com ) 216.148.246.70

I am a beginner and am working on a bear shoulder mount. I was hoping you folks could answer a couple of questions for me. This is my second bear shoulder mount. The first one I tanned at home and had a very difficult time working with the cape because I couldnt shave it properly. However I was pleased with the way it turned out.
This time I would like to send the hide to a tannery. Splitting the ears seems to take an awful lot of time. I have basically just used a sharp knife to turn the ears. Can an ear opener tool be used like what is available for deer or is the knife the best way to go? Also how clean of meat must the hide be before it is salt dried? I have removed the large pieces of meat and fat but there are a couple of areas that have a thin layer of red meat. When I trapped muskrat as a kid I used to see this same type of meat on the pelt after skinning. The fur buyer always told me dont worry about trying to get that off. Is it OK to leave this on the bear hide? Any comments appreciated. Thanks Mike

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Bears

This response submitted by George on 09/16/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.9

Don't use the ear openers unless you want to bust the ears open. Bear ears are tender and your knife method is the best. AS far as meat, all red meat must be removed and all the fat should be taken off. You must get down close to blue skin before you start salting, though I've heard of some guys salting the fat to help in peeling it off. That's quite risky and you could suffer slippage by dawdling around. Get in, get out, and salt quickly.

Use a draw knife

This response submitted by gotum on 09/17/2002. ( ) 216.127.204.56

Try using a draw knife on a fleshing beam the olds ones with a flat plane and ofset handles /---\ always worked well for me when I skin.

The other way I've seen slip is people putting the skin in a plastic bag and not getting it into the frezzer right away green spots form and that where the hair starts to slip. put in a box if you can't get it froze right away, and keep it as cool as you can.

bear

This response submitted by Linda C on 09/17/2002. ( lcline@cheqnet.net ) 64.33.183.132

George you must be a powerful sucker..lol.I have never been able(or talked to anyone else) to open bear ears with an ear opener.The membrane is just to tough.You'll need to use a knife or scalpel.Usually I put the ear openers on my knee and put the ear over it to enable me to keep the ear unrolling as I split.And yes if it's red get it off.Good luck

Thanks

This response submitted by Mike on 09/18/2002. ( prkguy@aol.com ) 66.119.34.39

Thanks for your help on this guys. A smaller (and sharper) blade did the trick on the ears. I bought the Breakthrough Video tape titled "Black Bear Shoulder Mount with Bob Elzner" but it lacked detail on skinning and fleshing. Otherwise it is very good tape. Can anyone recommend a different video? One of these days I hope to be able to take in a beginners seminar on gamehead mounting. If anyone knows of any seminars taking place place in Michigan please let me know. Again thanks for your assistance. Mike

Thanks

This response submitted by Mike on 09/18/2002. ( prkguy@aol.com ) 66.119.34.39

Thanks for your help on this guys. A smaller (and sharper) blade did the trick on the ears. I bought the Breakthrough Video tape titled "Black Bear Shoulder Mount with Bob Elzner" but it lacked detail on skinning and fleshing. Otherwise it is very good tape. Can anyone recommend a different video? One of these days I hope to be able to take in a beginners seminar on gamehead mounting. If anyone knows of any seminars taking place place in Michigan please let me know. Again thanks for your assistance. Mike

A SCALPAL IS ALL YOU NEED TO SPLIT EYES, EARS AND LIPS

This response submitted by JO on 09/28/2002. ( E ) 209.163.34.24

a fresh blade is needed , and be careful!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu