Caribou velvet antlers

Submitted by Robert Bugaj on 09/18/2002. ( rbugaj@cmhc-schl.gc.ca ) 192.197.69.29

Just last week I returned from a Caribou hunt in Norther Quebec, Canada. I brought back two set of velvet antlers. I was told to strip off the velvet, which I did and set them outside to dry. I noticed that tere are some dark and blood areas on the antlers and the smell is affecting my neighbour. Is there a process that I should folow to remove the smell and blooded area from the antlers? Can I bleach the antlers with regular laundry bleach? How long do they have to dry? What type of finish is recommended? Any help would be appreciated. Regards
Bob

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Everybody ASKS, Nobody bothers to read

This response submitted by George on 09/18/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.35

Bob,
Just day before yesterday I told a guy with exactly the same question to go to the archives as there were HUNDREDS of these questions with probably thousands of answers. In the left margin of this page, click on that "SEARCH" icon and ask that question. You'll be amazed.

The Works

This response submitted by cur on 09/18/2002. ( wildart ) 64.196.208.49

Cheapo stores like Target and Big Lots sell a cleanser product called "The Works". It is actually a dilute hydrochloric acid solution and works wonders on the iron-rich blood stains on antlers. That product, coupled with other cleaners mentioned in the ARCHIVES, will handle your chore. (Rinse well after using and DO NOT use the HCL solution in combination with Chlorine bleach or ammonia compounds....) USE OUTSIDE!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu