ANTLER COLOR

Submitted by RAS on 01/09/2003. ( HULK7272@MSN.COM ) 66.161.148.242

NEEDING TO KNOW WHAT THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY OF FINISHING ANTLERS MAY BE, STAIN OR PAINT ? BY THE WAY IT IS 2 PART EPOXIE THAT I USE TO REBUILD THE ANTLER.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

More Information

This response submitted by JK on 01/09/2003. ( ) 209.197.14.52

Are they old sheds, are they bleached white, do they just have small dyring cracks, Alittle more information will help.

I'll try again

This response submitted by JK on 01/09/2003. ( jeff@asc-asm.com ) 209.197.14.52

If what you are trying to acomplish is blending a fake tine into a real set of antlers try this. Paint the rebuilt antler the lightest color you see on the set.( should be a light beige of cream colored }
Then with the darker colors of the rack ( brown and redish ) rub the darker colors on with a paper towel on the higher bumps of the antler leaving the lighter color streaked from underneath. Keep playing with the colors until it blends in. I would use a water based paint so you can take it off if it dosn't the firse time. LOL

Best Stain

This response submitted by Tom on 01/16/2003. ( tave5479@aol.com ) 64.12.96.104

The best stain I have found for antler repair, especially when using the apoxy is sold by [a supply company]. It is excellent and very inexpensive.
I have been doing taxidermy for 30 years and this is the best product I have found for staining over the expoxy. Hope this helps you and definitely give it a try. It is a powder that you mix with water or rubbing alcohol, the full instructions are in his catalog too. Tom

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu