hair slippage

Submitted by tammy on 01/14/2003. ( ) 207.177.88.6

Is there anything you can do once the hair has started slipping on a whitetail mount. It's worse in the brisket area. i noticed it when I was putting on the liquatan.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

what method

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/15/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.171.124.34

First off what was your method of doing the hide before you got to the liqua-tan. The reason I'm asking to help you from having this happen again.
Now after you have the deer mounted don't pull on hair let it dry with a fan on it. Let the mount hang upside down so moisture doesn't traped in the brisket area, use a good hide paste.

But without knowing your whole process or what's realling going on here the info above may not even work at all. There are times that if a hide is slipping and it's bad your better of by dumping the hide and getting a new one. But let us know your process and we'll help you from there.

hair slippage

This response submitted by tammy on 01/15/2003. ( ) 207.192.238.148

I salted the hide and let it dry, then rehydrated and pickled in safety acid. I shaved it, neutralized it, the oiled it. Now its in the freezer because I wasn't sure what to do with it. The last hide I had for this guy, I threw away. The hair slid off with the top layer of skin. Now I have a different hide for him, and its not turning out either. I'm going to have to find a place to buy a couple of hides.

missing steps

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/15/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.165.117.179

Tammy after you shaved the hide it needs to ne pickled again for another 24 hrs. from there you neturlize the hide tan it then oil the hide. You didn't state what tan or if you used a tan. Oiling a hide is not a tan and oil is used after you tan the hide to help make it softer.
Also what is the PH level of the pickle bath plus it sounds like the hides may of been shot before you started having the epidermis slip like that. Any way make sure your puckle is 2.0 and no higher than 2.5 any higher you will end up with more troubles.

tanning

This response submitted by tammy on 01/15/2003. ( ) 207.177.88.6

I used liquatan and my pickle was at 1.5-2.0.
Thank you for all your help. This is my first year of going public with my taxidermy and I'm scard to death. I took in 30 heads and I want to do them right.

so do em right

This response submitted by Adam on 01/16/2003. ( MrDuckDr@aol.com ) 205.188.209.144

If you are worried about doing them right send them off to a respectable tannery. It is more expensive that way but remember that a taxidermist is only as good as his or her last mount.

Doing them right

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/16/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.144.22.183

Well Mr Duck just because you send them to a tannery doesn't mean it's right. There is no real difference between a tannery and what a person at can do. Listening to Tammy tells me so far her steps are correct and having a cape slip very posible mean that the cape was bad before she even began tanning it. The hard part about tanning your own skins is to know when you have a questionable cape and what to do from there. Even a tannery can't save those bad boys. A person has to start somewhere and this is were we start and if we make a mistake then we learn on how to fix it by seeing if there's something I did wrong or the person who brought the cape in did.

Now Tammy relax going public and being nervous isn't going to help you out so calm down LOL These things do happen learn to work through them and you'll become a better person at your job. The only problem I can see here is you din't place it back in the pickle for another 24 hours to repickle the hide. The reason we do this after you shave a hide down we sometimes take the pickle out of the cape and it needs to be placed back in there so all areas gets fully pickled. After that place the cape in a solution of one tablespoon of baking soda to a gallon of water and soak it for no more than 15 min. drain and then warm the Liqua-tan and rub it in flesh side. Fold the cape up and let it set over night. The next day you can either wash it and mount the cape or freeze it till your ready to mount it. Have fun and enjoy it, tanning is fun and if you learn to hate it like Mr Duck said send it out.

Frank

This response submitted by JK on 01/16/2003. ( ) 209.197.14.52

Is there a possibility Tammy could put the skin back in the Pickle and then re-oil. Just wondering!

yes and no

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/16/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.139.202.6

Yes you can repickle but after it's tanned you need to wash out the tan and some tans are hard to get out and I personally wouldn't say to do it. One reason is the hide is already slipping and probally ruined so doing a repickle sure wouldn't do a thing for it. Best off to get a replacement cape for it.

To get a more percise answer get a hold of Bruce Rittel or Mark from Knobloch's. There the guru's on there products.

Just giving my 2 cents

This response submitted by Adam on 01/16/2003. ( MrDuckDr ) 205.188.209.144

Well mr basswtrout correct me if im wrong but this site is here to help people not to be an ass. All i suggested is that a tannery might be able to help her out. To keep this from happening be sure to check all specimens when they arrive. If frozen unthaw and tell customer you will call them back. You can update them on the quaility of specimen or suggest a replacement cape. This may help some of the extra work if the cape is already strarting to spoil.

Mr Duck

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/17/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.167.41.81

Your advise is well taken and nobody called you an A$$ but yourself but how in the heck is that going to solve Tammy's problem. The way I read it from you now is if you run into any troubles might as well send it out and let somebody who knows how to mount it do it for you.

The young lady is trying to learn on how to tan her own hides and a person doesn't need to send there work out to tan anything and sending it doesn't and wouldn't solve any hair slippage problems. This is something that is learn through time and through experince and trial and error we learn on what will tan and what is questionable.

Now the next problem you'll have is if you unthaw a hide out and that means any hide it's still frozen. A person needs to thaw a skin out if their going to check it

Adam, unthaw is freezing.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 01/17/2003. ( ) 64.216.172.77

Yep and just as someone was bitching about poor grammer and spelling.

Un a word that modifies the verb. i.e.

Thaw, to increase the tempature at which the frozen items is at room temp.

So the un, would then modify the verb to mean freezing.

It could be Tammy is over nuetralizing the cape, to keep hair from slipping the cape shoulf not be neutralized beyond 4.5. This is even in some of the Liqa-tan directions.

other variables

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/19/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.78

I like Adams suggestion about using the tannery as an alternative, too. Some of Tammys trouble could be cape condition or the return to pickle as Frank pointed out. But water content in the cape before oiling is a biggy, as is how tight the cape was shaved in the brisket area. Its an area where the hair is rooted differently. How long was it left to be neutralized? Was the pH checked? Too many variables. Caping needs to be done quickly, beginners often spend a bit more time, this all works against you too. Cape em, split em and get them salted and dry. Maybe a trip to a tannery would be a wise next step for some!

hair slippage

This response submitted by tammy on 01/25/2003. ( ) 207.177.88.6

I appreciate all your help. Thank you all for your time and knowledge.Tammy

hair slippage

This response submitted by tammy on 01/25/2003. ( ) 207.177.88.6

I appreciate all your help. Thank you all for your time and knowledge.Tammy

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu