Loose Hair

Submitted by Gary on 01/21/2003. ( Post here ) 65.57.30.2

I just recieved a customers muledeer cape back from the tanner. On the middle of the underside of the neck, above the brisket the hair is really loose, I can shake it and the hair falls out quite thickly. Of course it is'nt the tanner's fault! Is there any way to save it,or do I have to refund his deposit? He does'nt want a replacement. Thanks, Gary

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Loose hair

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 01/21/2003. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.150.119.17

Gary, it's real hard to say what's going on here. Is it slippage from bacteria growth, or was the hide shaved down below the roots. You need to check out the flesh side of the hide and see if the hair roots are protruding somewhat and if it is they shaved it to close, if not it's probally slippage.
As far as saving it we don't again really know cause we can't see the skin and give you the right assumption. You can try it and it may turn out good or it may turn out bad.
Besides all of this was it a wet tan or a dry tan. If it was a dry tan becareful when you rehydrate it. Good luck but this time you need to make a decision. And if intend to return the money save the skin and I would show and explain to the reason why this could of happend. The casue could of been the way the client treated the mammal and not the tannery. Very seldom do tanneries screw up, it does happen but if it's a reputable one they would replace it at little or no charge to you.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu