House fire destroys mounts

Submitted by Tricia on 01/25/2003. ( tfprice@alltel.net ) 162.39.133.167

Two years ago we had a house fire. It destroyed four deer mounts. The hides were hanging off the forms and the antlers were black and brittle on the tips. We took the antlers off the forms and took them to a taxidermist. We were told that reproductions would be necessary, the antlers themselves could not be saved. This we already suspected, no surprises there. He was going to try to work with them and attempt to get a decent cast.

Here I am, two years later and still the taxidermist has done nothing. They've been on a shelf in his workshop and he hasn't gotten to them yet.

He now informs me that one of the antlers broke at the base of the skull. Funny, they weren't brittle there, only the very tips were in danger of breaking when I took them in.

It's been too long with nothing done,now there's furthur damage to what we were attempting to save. I'm going now to pick them up. I can't risk him damaging the antlers furthur before any attampts are even made to reproduce them.

So here's my question...What the heck do I do with them now?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

I can help...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/25/2003. ( Raven@trillium-hills.com ) 24.150.167.36

I can likely re-consolidate your antlers and make them completely salvageable and with a little well chosen paint work you can have your original antlers on the mount.

In the event that I could NOT save the entire antler I could do a repair and replace only the most fragile parts with casts from molds off of your original thus incorporating much of the real antler and replacing only the bare minimum.

2 years is an excessive amount of time I believe for this sort of thing. Perhaps he doesnt know how to do it nad thats the reason for teh delay? I have had a set here for 3 months that is nearly done and I feel that has been far too long! 2 years for an antler repair? ouch! Email me if interested...

in state

This response submitted by . on 01/25/2003. ( ) 198.81.26.173

Try someone in state before sending them
to canada.

Ya cause that matters...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/25/2003. ( ) 24.150.167.36

*IF* permits are required - they are easily obtained.

Having a person with knowledge in all the areas required to do the job right should be their FIRST concern. The joker doin it already was in state and what did that get them?

Not a time to play politics...

jeees

This response submitted by jb on 01/25/2003. ( jbtaxidermy@aol.com ) 198.81.26.173

Raven, maybe you could show us some of
your work on your web site.
Uuuuuu maybe one set of antlers you have
made a mold of, not saying your not capable,
but just don't have the
experience of some of the guys in the states.

website in the works...

This response submitted by Raven on 01/26/2003. ( ) 24.150.167.36

The website is in the works. The one currently online isn't the website it was just something we threw up so there woudl be something there instead of a blank page. The 'real' one is on our hard drive and will be uploaded when complete. I'll be sure to post all the website info when it's fully ready to go; likely in April sometime. Until then pix are available via email for Customers only who wish to have some sort of reference of my work.

As for the other comment.. I have no idea how you can claim I don't have as much experience as someone else because they are in the States. I've made thousands of molds and repaired hundreds of bones and fossils, yet because I'm in Canada means I have less experience? That was an incredibly ignorant statement to make based on lines drawn on a map.

ok

This response submitted by JB on 01/26/2003. ( ) 198.81.26.173

And there you have it , not one set of antlers.

This is the answer

This response submitted by Raven on 01/26/2003. ( ) 24.150.167.36

This is the answer to why taxidermists don't get the respect they deserve. So much time and effort is put into attacking each other and trying to downplay ability amongst peers it makes them look petty and jealous. Cut throats and backstabbers.... not the sort of group that deserves respect.

As I clearly stated, I do have pix available for customers and have sent them out to many, many people... yet some people still jump to assumptions in an attempt to make someone else look bad.... WHY? What purpose does it serve? The immaturity exhibited by some inividuals makes the group as a whole look incredibly unprofessional.

you guys are SO damned jealous!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/27/2003. ( ) 152.163.188.33

Cant stand that Raven might be able to do it better then you guys, eh? You should be ashamed of yourselves. Look, Ive seen Ravens antlers, and I think theyre fine. And I make replicas and I still dont mind saying this. Tricia, I know enough about burn antlers to know that they still shrink and move long after theyre burnt, its not neccessarily the taxidermists fault. Two years wait? That isnt unreasonable, it all depends on what he told you it would take. Im not sure how folks can determine someone elses schedule, but...Bottom line, you guys who have nothing to contribute here but negative, beat it. Ravens replicas are fine. You vultures should find something to pick on elsewhere, Im sure.

bill

This response submitted by JB on 01/27/2003. ( ) 198.81.26.173

Bill you have a big noise.
Why dont you stick to things you
know about, and quit sucking on raven.
Get your own life in order.

bill

This response submitted by JB on 01/27/2003. ( ) 198.81.26.173

Bill you have a big noise.
Why dont you stick to things you
know about, and quit sucking on raven.
Get your own life in order.

thanks for that sound advice

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 01/28/2003. ( ) 152.163.188.33

Lets see...I know about replicas, burned antlers, Raven's work, and oh yes, I CAN spell nose. Looks as though Ive aced this one, Id say. It just pisses you off, doesnt it..."JB"

Why are you both entertaining this person

This response submitted by ? on 02/02/2003. ( ) 199.120.97.134

He's obviously doing this for his own amusement. So why keep feeding the stray dog if you want him to leave?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu