Problem with skull whitening

Submitted by Adam on 01/28/2003. ( Adamblack1872@msn.com ) 66.82.9.23

Had a skull in 40 volume peroxide this weekend after taking it out of my bugs. It whitened great except for yellow lines in all of the areas where the different skull bones attach to each other. Especially the center line of the skull, where you have the real "squiggly lines". Any ideas how to fix. Maybe I left it in too long? Thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Left too long

This response submitted by Glenda @ Duck Doctors on 01/28/2003. ( ) 64.12.96.202

I have had the same problem when leaving the solution on the skulls too long. It is best to only leave it for no more than 45 minutes.

It's not the peroxide

This response submitted by Superpig on 01/29/2003. ( ) 152.163.188.225

How did you clean the skull? I bet you boiled it. The yellow lines are most likely grease boiled right into the bone. You gonna have to degrease it in some dawn dishwashing liquid for a while and then rinse it off with clean water. Let it sit in the sun for several days to dry. You may or may not have to rebleach it.

Yellow lines

This response submitted by steve on 01/29/2003. ( moacustomskulls@direcway.com ) 66.82.9.31

Adam is that you? It's one of 2 things. Didn't laeve it in the bugs lomg enough or you didn't leave it in the peroxide long enough. also the 40 volume isn't strong enough, use 35%. I know you guys won't agree but I submerge skulls (adult animals) for 48hrs or so depending on the animal in 35% peroxide. I've never had a complaint or had damage yet. I've got 4 colonies & I'm doing about 16 deer sized skulls per week. Look at my stuff at moacustomskulls.com
Steve

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu