How long is long enough? (Not talking about sex)

Submitted by Scott on 12/14/2003. ( ) 66.119.34.39

I soaked a deer skull for 30 min. in Rittel's Super soaker and was told to re-soak it longer with the temp. above 120F. I soaked it for 2 hrs. now and don't want to soak it long if it is unsafe or will damage the skull. I searched through the archives and didn't find anything on it except one person suggested one week. How long can I soak it without it harming the skull?
SD

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Is the skull clean?

This response submitted by John C on 12/14/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Common sense will show you if there is grease in the skull. @ 120F this is not any hotter than comes out of most hot water taps.

Your hot water heater may have been turned down for toddlers saftey. But hot 120F tap water will not harm the skull, you could soak it in that temp for 12 hours without any damage. Thats the way I do it.

When I steam the meat off the skull I seldom raise the temp past 140F as hotter is not better.

Thanks

This response submitted by Scott on 12/14/2003. ( ) 66.119.33.135

I know the temp. because I put a digital thermonitor in the water before I put the skull in. The water stayed that temp. for as long as it took it to cool down in an open pan outside where it's 55F. I was just worried about the super solvent being a harsh chemical because I haven't had experience with it before. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't weaken the bone.
SD

I use Rittles Super Solvent on a lot of things.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 12/14/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Its my choice for degreasing items, even works very well for auto grease.

I soaked some Peccary skuls in it for two weeks, no damage and they are sparkly white. Drain off any grease before pulling the skull out.

It may remove the staining on the deer antlers, but that is easily replaced with artist oils.

It also has never slipped a hair on any hide.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu