Krowtann & New Foam

Submitted by Kenneth on 12/17/2003. ( ) 68.92.233.165

Tonight, I got a chance to mount a mule deer tanned with Krowtann, on a McKenzie form, made with the new foam. The mule deer mounted out great. I was very impressed with the Krowtann, but less impressed with the foam. The lip line was scary. I heard the foam crunch around a couple of times, but nothing broke out. I had to lighten up on pressure with my tools, but soon adjusted easily. I grabbed the antlers once, to spin the deer on the mounting stand, and I thought,I heard foam crackling. I thought the wood block was giving. I quit doing that very quickly. Overall, it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be. Maybe this won't be a major bump in the road. I'll try the same combo again tomorrow.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

You know what I'm thinking?

This response submitted by Leanna on 12/18/2003. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 207.195.212.165

Maybe, just maybe, the new foam will prove an asset. Maybe the crunching lip line will "steer" us in the right direction of being more careful of tucking lips and GETTING A TIGHTER, SKINNIER LIP LINE. I havn't tried the new mannikins yet, but if the foam is more giving in this area, perhaps we will experience less shrinkage due to easier tucking of a thinner modeling tool.

Or am I smoking crack again?

Crackhead may be right

This response submitted by scott on 12/18/2003. ( sschuh@flinthills.com ) 64.39.203.41

:)

huh?

This response submitted by Bojack on 12/18/2003. ( ) 24.204.106.112

Seems to me like if you had a more foregiving area around the lip line, the lips would pull out easier. Just my thinking.

Now I want to try it.

This response submitted by Leanna on 12/18/2003. ( ) 207.195.212.121

Bojack, you're right, but it could also work the opposite being you could use a thinner modeling tool with less force to tuck. Sometimes I really put my biceps into cramming that lip skin into the lip slot now. Won't know till I try it.

Which is stronger a spring ir a piece of steel?

This response submitted by JOhn C on 12/18/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

I feel the new foam as more clamping pressure than the balsa wood like freon foam, were the freon is brittle the flexible should in theroy clamp harder because of the spring like action.

Either way its not a big deal, you just make some adjustments to use it.

Its not the end of the world, unless you dont have any creativity!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu