Type of salt for caribou cape

Submitted by Jack on 12/03/2003. ( jwoyshnar@aol.com ) 68.168.140.66

Hello all, i am going on a caribou trip next year and my guide told me i have to bring salt. Is there a special type of salt needed?
Thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Non Iodized

This response submitted by Tenbears on 12/03/2003. ( ) 152.163.252.136

Morton canning and picleling salt will do the trick. Bring about 25 pounds.

This response submitted by Jack on 12/03/2003. ( jwoyshnar@aol.com ) 68.168.140.66

Thanks for the reply tenbears. I cant bring 25 lbs because im only allowed to bring 65 lbs total of equipment, supplies etc. guide seems to think that one lb per cape should be good.
Thanks again

Minimum

This response submitted by Old Fart on 12/03/2003. ( ) 64.122.57.79

The minimum salt that I would take for the cape would be about 5 pounds(ten would be better). Any less, then why even bother with it.

Jack

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/03/2003. ( ) 205.188.208.44

Bottom line, we do taxidermy, your guide most likely does not. Now who are YOU going to believe? Five lbs MINIMUM. Im thinking Im throwing out gear to make room for salt, to save that cape for the potential mount. Trust us, we'd hate to see you lose a cape...

This response submitted by Jack on 12/04/2003. ( jwoyshnar@aol.com ) 68.168.140.66

Thanks to all for your great replies. I really appreciate it. I can do the 5 lbs i think. YOu are all right, i dont want to loose the cape either.
Thanks again
Jack

hi Jack

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/04/2003. ( ) 205.188.208.44

Did ever notice that anyone that yells HI to you in an airport gets arrested?

Anyway, the salt you want is regular fine grain salt, like table salt. You can buy 5 lb bags at the grocery, and then use duct tape to tape the whole bag so theres no tearing, and youre all set! Good luck on your hunt.

caribou blues

This response submitted by Hugh on 12/04/2003. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

Please be sure to understand that you only salt the cape AFTER it has been fleshed and the lips, eyes, nose and ears are properly turned. For some reason the Quebec guides tell their clients, or force them to salt the cape to high heaven without doing the necessary fleshing first. The unfortunate hunter then may be told his cape is no goodby the time it shows up at the taxidermists. Ive even had guys come back, throw a salted cape in the freezer for a month or two, then bring it to me. Or they salt it, and leave it in their garage for a few weeks without proper fleshing and turning, once again, the cape spoils. Go talk to your local taxidermist before you leave and ask him how he/she would like you to prepare the cape. Youll be much happier.

Good luck by the way.

Hugh

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu