How to plack deer horns?

Submitted by Scott on 12/05/2003. ( scottandkarma@msn.com ) 67.0.141.123

I'm sure this has been ask alot but does anyone have any good instructions on how to plack deer horns from scratch. I don't want to use a form or anything like A kit.

Thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

do it right

This response submitted by adams on 12/05/2003. ( ) 208.4.5.74

If it aint worth doing right, it aint worth doing at all. Doing it from "scratch" will cost just as much as doing with a form.

I don't remeber saying anything about "Cost"

This response submitted by Scott on 12/05/2003. ( ) 67.0.141.123

The reason for my post is because I would like to know how to do it from "scratch". If you don't know how why respond?

I'm not trying to save money I just would like to do this project completely myself. I made the plack ect..

It's posted on these forums..honest

This response submitted by las on 12/05/2003. ( ) 142.165.183.5

How to mount deer horns..you gotta
search a little bit cause were tired of posting
same thing over again...I know there Is stuff posted unless ken deleted It..?

Okay, one more time:

This response submitted by Scott on 12/05/2003. ( ) 67.0.141.123

I searched the web and came to this forum (no link to homepage by the way--so didn't know there was a search engine for this forum at first). I've looked for a long time for a specific answer. I did search internet search engines. I don't just want to "mount some deer horns" but I would like to plack some deer horns from scractch. I finally did find the homepage here by cutting and pasting the address, so I ran a search. And in the masses of responses I found ONE addressing my question (maybe there were more but I didn't find them) and they told the poster to email them for directions. The posts were years old. I don't know these guys and I'm not going to email them.

If anybody has some kind of an answer to this question OR would point me to a book or some other source please respond. If you just want to have some jerk-ass response then just ignore the post altogether. I really don't understand the animosity here. I'm just asking a question on a forum that I can't find in the archives or other places on the web!

Ok

This response submitted by Gordon on 12/05/2003. ( ) 142.177.92.55

1.Cut tear drop shaped 3/4 in. plywood to fit antler scull area. Screw on antlers. 2. Fill in skull area and plywood with filler,,,such a polyfiller, plaster etc. 3. Let dry. 4. Sand plaster to get it smooth. 5. Glue on piece of cloth or leather. (Cut to fit around antlers. 6 Get a piece of wood shape into a panel. 7. Attach to antler form with couple of screws. 8. Do this on the next 10 antlers you get your hands on and you will become an expert. You will be able to answer questions such as yours. Help folks etc.. Bonne chance.

Spell it correctly!

This response submitted by @@@ on 12/05/2003. ( ) 68.171.167.133

Maybe if you spelled it correctly, you would have found more info.

Scott

This response submitted by George on 12/05/2003. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.5

Sounds like you may have gotten here through the back door. Go to www.taxidermy.net/forums. In the left margin, you'll find a Google driven orange icon that states "SEARCH" Click there and type in "antler mount". To date, there are 751 entries in our archives telling you methods, including the 752nd one listed above.

Jerry C. (@@@)

This response submitted by Shann on 12/06/2003. ( davistaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 143.183.121.1

...thanks for your .02! It was a simple question that needed a simple answer? Please remember that when doing a web search, a lot of people get directed to this forum thru the back door which doesn't show the Forum Categorie buttons. I know thats how I found it my first time. Scott, just ignore some of the peps on here from time to time. I believe they have a bad day mounting and decide to come here to vent sometimes.

real simple

This response submitted by paul bunyan on 12/06/2003. ( ) 209.214.103.184

order a skull plate cover from WASCO that is made by foster taxidermy supply. bondo the cap screw it to the plaque and cover looks good and cost effective.

Take it to your taxidermist

This response submitted by nucklehead on 12/06/2003. ( ) 65.167.45.94

Instead of coming here and trying to do this yourself take it to your local taxidermist and pay for a professionally done horns on shield job.

Scott does make a good point

This response submitted by MS on 12/06/2003. ( ) 198.81.26.76

I think Scott brings up a valid point that continues to come up on this particular forum. There are questions that are asked from time to time that do have answers that exist within the archives, and for whatever the reasons, the answers to these questions have not been located. A simple explaination or hint on how to proceed like.... look under "How to mount deer horns," as las puts it, or..... look under "Antler Mounts," as George suggests.

I too, have felt the rath of scorn here when asking for advise from timt to time, and there does seem to be an element of "animosity" on this site by a few individuals when a question like Scott's is asked, and I have had some trouble understanding it.

And to Gordon, Thanks for the quick instruction. I thought your directions were simple, straight forward, helpful, and to the point. It answers Scotts question, took a minute to do, it was polite, and the sarcasm was noticably absent!
MS

No boring tear drop plaques

This response submitted by Craig on 12/29/2003. ( rcv@sbcglobal.net ) 63.115.132.3

If you are going to go to the trouble to do it yourself, make it good!
I have experimented with several designs including rough cedar fence pickets, barb wire, rusty stars, rope etc. It's quick and easy....and cheap. Use a taxidermist for a shoulder mount, but I would never pay someone to clean a skull and nail it to some boring tiny wood teardrop plaque.

I would be glad to give you some specific tips or send you pics of the ones I did for myself and some of my friends.

BEst of luck!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu