smelly deer heads

Submitted by eva on 12/27/2003. ( elmmitchell ) 65.240.105.35

My son killed two deer two weeks ago and he said he was ging to english mount them him self sence I can't aford to get them mounted.
but they smell so bad I cant take it so what do we do to get them started do I boil them and then peel them andthen bleach them?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

elmmitchell@yahoo.com

This response submitted by eva on 12/27/2003. ( ) 65.240.105.35

please e-mail me with replys

Using the SEARCH button here is your reference pages

This response submitted by JOhn C on 12/27/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

Searched pages from www.taxidermy.net for European Mount. Results 1 - 10 of about 396. Search took 0.18 seconds.

help on european mount
help on european mount. Submitted by zac p. on 11/15/2003. ... how do you attach a european
mount to the wood panel? Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/ 03/k/03C6F81ED.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

I need help on a european mount?
I need help on a european mount? Submitted by dev on 12/03/2003. ( BigArch_8@hotmail.com
) 66.237.84.238 I am doing a european mount ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/DeerTaxiArticles/ 03/l/03124D038B.html - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

European Mount HELP...
European Mount HELP... Submitted by Mark Takacs on 5/6/99. ( marktakacs@aol.com
). ... european mount. This response submitted by Mark on 5/7/99. ( ). ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/GameHeadArticles/ 998A845AA.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

European Mount -- Skull Cleaning Archives
European Mount -- Skull Cleaning Archives. ... Last Modified: Saturday, March
11, 2000; More help with European mount (12/17/1998) Size: 6K. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/faq/SkullMenu.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

European Mount of Antelope
European Mount of Antelope. Submitted by Eric Christophersen on 10/18/1998. ( elkhunt@in-tch.com
) I am doing a european mount antelope for a buddy of mine. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/GameHeadArticles/Q7J_AE.html - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

What is the difference in a European Mount and a Texas Mount
What is the difference in a European Mount and a Texas Mount. Submitted by
Curt Faughn on 12/19/1998. ( sfaughn@yahoo.com ). ... EUROPEAN MOUNT QUESTION. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/DeerTaxiArticles/T31M=3.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

how do I do a european mount of a whitetail deer?
how do I do a european mount of a whitetail deer? Submitted by Rob on 12/21/2002. ... You
will find the information you are looking for. european mount. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/GameheadArticles/ 02/l/02A2FBA40F.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

european mount
european mount. Submitted by Chris on 10/22/1998. ( flytie20@aol.com ) ... European mount.
This response submitted by Brian Wilke; Wilkes taxidermy on 10/22/1998. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/DeerTaxiArticles/QJGKY=.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

European mount
European mount. Submitted by Duane A. on 2/10/01. ... Hi just boiled A white tail
deer skull to make A european mount its all ready to be put on the board. ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/GameheadArticles/ 01/b/01D0AF27FA.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

More help with European mount
More help with European mount. Submitted by John on 12/17/1998. (
). Why would you use borax on a european mount? What would be ...
www.taxidermy.net/forums/DeerTaxiArticles/S,=~UK.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Result Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Thank You

This response submitted by Eva on 12/27/2003. ( ) 65.240.105.35

JOhn C thank you so very much!

Thank You

This response submitted by Eva on 12/27/2003. ( ) 65.240.105.35

JOhn C thank you so very much!

Big thing is dont boil the skulls.

This response submitted by John c on 12/27/2003. ( ) 66.233.157.155

You can keep the hot water temp about 130-140F is enough. but needs to be where you have plenty of clean air so you can work upwind.

You will need to clean the cooked meat off, change water then repeat, maybe even a couple times.

Last time be sure to sop the grease off the water before pulling the skull out of the hot water.

a coat hanger can be used to dig the brains out.

Use 3% peroxide from the cheapest source, to totally cover the skull, let this set at room temp for several days until the skull is whitened.

any peroxide stronger can be very dangerous, will blind and eat through finger nails. I quit using the strong stuff, you just dont need it.

Stinky heads

This response submitted by Craig on 12/29/2003. ( rcv@sbcglobal.net ) 63.115.132.3

The best way is to gain as much exposure to the elements as possible, (i.e. sunlight, ants, maggots). I tie or chain mine to a tree in a wooded area behind my house. After approx 2 weeks I can easily pull any remaining skin and/or fur off with pliers, but most all the meat, fur, and brains will be gone at this point. Otherwise, take a knife, and some plyers and yank the rest of it off.

Next, I boil the skull for about 1.5 hours. Any other meat will come off at this point. Next I soak skull only in bleach water overnite. RInse with fresh water, let dry completely, then paint white (white watercolor paint- 50 cents at craft store). A gleaming white skull is very impressive, and gives the horns great contrast, as well preserves the bone with a protective coating.

Don't over-bleach or over boil...and no need to drag the process out over 4-6 months.

Summary:
2 weeks natural decay
1-2 hours boil the head
1 over-nite bleach water soaking
Let dry, and paint white

Finishing the skull is only half the job. For all of that work, you must find a cool way to mount it on the wall. I make custom plaques out of rough cedar for mine and my friends that display the skull, and the arrow, and even a picture of you with your kill. Email me if you want pictures of mine or need some extra tips. I would be glad to help anyone with theirs.

Best of luck!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu