HOG HEAD HELP

Submitted by G Tanner on 12/12/2003. ( pugsy012000@yahoo.com ) 209.214.96.74

I have mounted lots of deer and other mammals, but not alot of hogs. Does any one out there know an easier way to get the shield off of the hog. I know it will be hard any way but i would like to know if there is a product you canuse to make the process easier. Do most people use artificial nose or the real one. I would appreciate any tips you might have.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

A fleshing machine...

This response submitted by BigSwede on 12/12/2003. ( toivo.olsson@telia.com ) 213.66.86.149

... is the way to go. You can adjust the blade to take of large slabs of pork for each stroke. Here in Sweden pigs have increased in numbers and I do quite a few each year, but I personally would not dream of taking in any if I did not had access to a good flesher. The hide can also be fleshed/shaved on a beam using a sharp two-handle knife, but You will work up a good sweat for sure. I always use the real nose, I like to have all the fine hairs left. It is not at all hard to do. Check March/April number of Taxidermy Today -it has a good article on hog mounting using the real nose. Good luck/BS

Machete

This response submitted by Rob on 12/13/2003. ( ) 216.96.110.133

I have an old Machete that I purchased at an army surplus store. I put a slight edge on it with a grinding wheel, or you could use a file.It is a tough job getting the shield off the shoulders. I found this to work better than anything else that I have tried.
Good Luck!
Rob

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu