Mt goat & basic white

Submitted by Richard on 05/11/2004 at 12:10. ( ) 68.185.46.41

Has anyone used basic white on a mounted Mt goat? It is 7 years old & was in a furnace explosion. Got the suit out of it but it has yellowed. Bought basic white & 20% peroxide at local beauty shop. They don't know how I should apply it. How long do I leave it in? Do I need to put on a conditioner afterwards? And yes I checked the archives but could not find anything helpful on this. Thanks for any help.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Goat

This response submitted by Hugh on 05/12/2004 at 08:57. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

I have used that stuff on Dall's Sheep with great results. Mix it up according to the directions and apply as a paste. I left it on for 20 minutes. Then rinsed it off and applied a second application for 20 minutes. Afterwards I neutralized it and conditioned the fur. The cape came out white and soft. Do a search for sheep bleaching for addtional help.

Hugh

Thanks a bunch Hugh

This response submitted by Richard on 05/12/2004 at 12:03. ( ) 68.185.46.41

One more question? What did you neutralize it with? Thanks again!

bleaching

This response submitted by Hugh on 05/12/2004 at 12:57. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

Hmmm... I cant remember the brand name, but the beauty supply place should be able to tell you. Its the same stuff they use on ladies hair. They also have a conditioner. I got all my stuff at Sally's beauty supply and they are a nationwide chain

try this

This response submitted by Hugh on 05/12/2004 at 13:01. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

I just checked the archives.....and found this

Normalizing Lotion

You must use a normalizer after bleaching or you WILL have brittle hair in time; I use Regenal instant pH normalizing lotion, just follow the directions. This is a MUST DO! I've bleached them before and after mounting and think before is better because you can rinse them easier in the sink etc. If after mounting do the same day because the mount gets very wet; just use a bath towell to help dry.e

Thanks tons!

This response submitted by Richard on 05/12/2004 at 13:45. ( ) 68.185.46.41

You've been a great help. Thank you very much.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu