Hair slippage , what do you tell the customer

Submitted by Jamie on 05/22/2004 at 18:55. ( ) 66.139.182.83

I had a customer that brought in a deer to be mounted. When I thawed the deer out to cape it from the skull, I noticed it was cut all wrong in the brisket area. No big deal there, I could modifiy the form if need. So I tan the hide ect just as I've always done, and start the mounting process, Wholly hair-slippage....huge clumps of hair started coming out of the neck area. AFTER THOUGHT I noticed prior to mounting when I was fleshing the cape that it had a few bald spots, at the back side of the cape, I didn't notice any hair coming out any wear else, so I went about the tanning process.

My questions are is there any way to know that you shouldn't waste your time doing a cape? or do you just chalk it up to more practice and see what happens? Then again I think time is money.

And what do you tell your customer when you have an issue like this come up. I'm sure you would say use another cape.....but I don't have a back up supply. And all the cape I've seen for sale are gonna run 75-125.

Chime in and let me know what you think of my problem......Jamie

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Jamie

This response submitted by Wildwood on 05/22/2004 at 19:20. ( ) 206.229.235.137

I just had the same thing happen in my shop this year. The first thing to do is notify the customer of the problem. You did have a contract did'nt you. Explain the problem and have them stop in to see the problem. You,ll find honesty will go far in these situations. Tell them their options and why this occured ,explain in a profesional fashion what their options are such as a replacement cape or maybe a europeon or antler mount. This is why contacts are so important because problems like this are brought to the customers attention before any work starts and covers you a$$.
You will probably find out how the cape was handled before you got it by just talking to them while explaining the problem. Cost of a replacement should be handled by the customer.
Good luck Chad Wood

Got a contract

This response submitted by Jamie on 05/22/2004 at 20:33. ( ) 66.139.182.83

Yes I have the standard taxidermy contract. I already spoke with him about the cape being cut wrong> he and his brothers processed the deer themselves.

I will call him and tell him the situation.

But I suppose that theres now way to tell if a hide will slip before you go to all the work of fleshing and ect?

Jamie

This response submitted by George on 05/22/2004 at 21:38. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.132

First off, don't act as if you're guilty of anything. Chances are if the Jabonie brothers cut the cape short in "processing it themselves", they just as likely took it all around town showing their buddies before it ever got skinned or you got it. Slippage happens in the field much more often than it ever does in the shop. Tell them that when the hide thawed, it was spoiled. It was. Once a hide spoils, NOTHING will stop slippage.

Jamie

This response submitted by johnson on 05/22/2004 at 23:09. ( ) 64.31.6.8

George is right, slip starts up front before the cape is skinned. Many things can start bacteria that causes slip while in the customers hands. A deer hung in the rain, left in the back of the truck, a deer hung three days in warm weather will be prime for slip, letting the bloody cape lay on the garage floor a couple of days before taking it to the taxidermist will have a good chance to slip. My third deer that I ever did had slip, I didnt know, I thought all that hair floating in the pickle was normal, NOT! If you pickled and tanned it the same way that you did other capes with no problems, then it's not your fault. George is right in telling the customer that it was spoiled when you thawed it. You might want to ask him some questions on how much time went by between shooting the deer and getting it to you. I had a cape come in with the meet green and stinky and talked to the customer about the chances of it going to the dumpster. I always try to grill the customer a bit on how and when they processed the deer up front, dont play twenty questions, just ask a few good ones.
I have cut slip spots out and sewed the holes and then soaked the area with stop slip from Knoblocks, pinned some window screen over it until dryed with good results. Unless the slip spot is as big a soft ball. good luck.

Here's what I'd do

This response submitted by Mike on 05/31/2004 at 17:35. ( ) 216.203.223.122

Most of the specimins I get in are frozen. When I thaw and cape out a deer, I pay special attention to the condition of the cape. If there is any indication of a problem I pull out my camcorder and video the problem areas. My contract is rock solid. If the cape turns out to be spoiled, I'll notify the customer and give them the option of getting a new cape (at their expense) and I also charge them for handling of the first cape. If they do not want to pay for a new cape and additional handling fees, then I keep their deposit (50%) and give them the specimin back. This is all spelled out in my contract, which was tested sucessfully in court. In every case, the customer knows that they misstreated the specimin. Still some will try to blame the taxidermist. Your always best off to cover your butt and keep them imformed with the truth.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu