What size elk cape?

Submitted by Alan Mason on 05/24/2004 at 22:24. ( ) 63.157.141.27

I shot a decent size 5x5 a few years back in Colorado and would like to mount it. I wasn't into taxidermy at the time and couldn't afford to have it mounted then, and didn't get any measurments. I'm ready to tackle one now and saw some capes for sale, but have no idea on neck size that would look realistic on this bull. I would say the bull weighed 600+ lbs. I'd appreciate any suggestions from any of you guys and gals that know elk. I have photos of the rack if that helps. I'm from Pennsylvania and may never have another chance to hunt the west, and would really like to mount this bull.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

elk

This response submitted by wilson on 05/25/2004 at 09:34. ( ) 198.81.26.43

I have gotten 5x elk with 23-32 inch necks.
Get a true 26 and you'll have a nice size elk for a 5x.

Size

This response submitted by Tenbears on 05/26/2004 at 09:30. ( ) 149.174.164.22

It has been said before that size is not important. In this case it is not. What matters most is how the mount is presented. Remember you are trying to achieve an overall appearance of a mount that goes together. If it is a small rack, then it would probably be best presented with a smaller hide. As putting it on a large cape would only serve to give the rack a smaller appearance. If the rack is exceptionally large. Then using a small cape would make the mount seem out of proportion. As Wilson said 26 is about the middle of the road. And would work good with an average to large rack wile still looking believable. Wile a small to medium rack would display nicely with a smaller cape.

Thanks!

This response submitted by Alan Mason on 05/26/2004 at 14:58. ( ) 63.157.140.13

Thanks for the advice, Wilson and Tenbears. I looked through a few catalogs and some don't even offer anything smaller then 25-27 inch necks. I'll go with a 26 or 27 inch neck when I purchase a cape. Thanks again.

allan

This response submitted by wilson on 05/26/2004 at 16:34. ( ) 198.81.26.43

I think you should buy a cape first.
You know the old saying `the cart before the horse`

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu