Need some opinions on customer mount..help

Submitted by LeeAnn on 05/26/2004 at 10:42. ( ) 66.139.182.248

I've got a customer that cut his cape way to short....told him and he said fine do a neck mount...but "I want the neck mount turned like the deer is rubbing a tree" I've looked in McKenzie, WASCO, Van Dykes' and others and can't find a neck mount doing this...how would I go about altering a neeck mount so it turn in this postion? or can I just postion it turned on the plaque that way.

Thanks
LeeAnn

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

modify

This response submitted by wetnwild on 05/26/2004 at 11:05. ( ) 24.128.109.191

het a standard pose neck mount, and section a wedge out of the back side. Once the head is turned in the corewct position desired, anchor with wire in place and fill section with expandable foam, and then rasp to shape

Or...

This response submitted by Jim on 05/26/2004 at 11:29. ( ) 204.211.171.11

Get a shoulder form in the desired position. Cut the shoulders off the form to the correct length for your cape. Bondo a new backboard in place.

Please look at

This response submitted by LeeAnn on 05/26/2004 at 12:37. ( ) 66.139.182.207

McKenzie catlaog page 53 . He wants it to look similar to the pose this deer has but in a neck mount. Is this possible and how do I do it in a neck mount? Sorry I seem so novice but most of the customers I have want shoulder mounts and seem to stick to the more basic mounts.

Leeann

This response submitted by Susan on 05/26/2004 at 12:54. ( ) 199.90.9.18

Call your supplier and see what he/she suggests. Taxidermists seem to be miracle workers in the customers' eyes, but it's impossible to grow that cape as long as it "should have been left" by the person that skinned it out. If your supplier can't help, call your customer back and make an appointment with him to come to your shop. That way he'll know you mean business and tell him you will have to thaw the hide out to show him what the problem is. Try to have a form on hand(possibly for another mount) to try the hide on to visually explain why you can't get the pose that he wants. He can't argue with what he's seeing, and it gives you a chance to show him what WILL work as far as mounting his trophy is concerned. This way he'll know that you ARE trying to give him what he wants, but that you can't because of circumstances beyond your control. That's when you take the time to show him where to cut off the cape in order to get the pose he wants. We usually tell the customers that if they will stop cutting(field dressing) at a point just behind the front legs as if the animal were standing(keeping an eye on cutting the brisket long also) then cut all the way around the animal(like a belt wrapped around a waist), then they will have enough of the hide to be able to have several options on poses. Also advise them to leave a "shirt-sleeve" of the front leg hide in case you need to repair the brisket. Better to have too much hide than not enough I always say. Hope this helps._Susan

The customer did come in

This response submitted by LeeAnn on 05/26/2004 at 13:11. ( ) 66.139.182.88

And I showed him how short the cape was....i mentioned maybe doing a antler mount...but he insisted on a neck mount. Then added that he want it turn so that the deer looked like it was rubbing a tree....I said I would try to find a form, but would call him if I couldn't...

And that brings me to here....I want to try to do what the customer wants....but I don't think its possible...that's why I'm ask for opionions....Thanks Susan...maybe your right and I am trying to be a miricle worker(LOL)

leeann

This response submitted by joe on 05/26/2004 at 14:06. ( ) 152.163.252.197

maybe you can suggest buying a new cape and giving your customer whatever mount he/she wants.

Gotcha covered...hopefully!

This response submitted by The Rookie on 05/26/2004 at 15:02. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.252.197

Look up Joe Coombs in the suppliers. His catalog has exactly what you're looking for on p.32. Good job in going the extra mile to help a customer. It really does benefit you in the end. Peace- Jeff F.

LeeAnn

This response submitted by The Rookie on 05/26/2004 at 15:07. ( ) 152.163.252.197

This is a direct link to the form you're looking for....I think! http://www.joecoombs.com/cgi-bin/JoeCoombs.storefront/40b4ed6201448f3a273fd0e7646506dc/Search/Run

OOPs!

This response submitted by The Rookie on 05/26/2004 at 15:10. ( ) 152.163.252.197

Type 111n for a product # once you get to the search and it should do it for you. Good Luck- Jeff F.

Jeff

This response submitted by LeeAnn on 05/26/2004 at 15:37. ( ) 66.139.182.88

I was looking at that catalog, and saw that also. I think this is what i'll offer the customer. It's not quite what he wanted but hey I can only do what I can do. You all have been so helpful thanks lots.

LeeAnn

Just my thoughts

This response submitted by ron on 05/26/2004 at 23:20. ( rktaxi@wbsnet.org ) 67.64.29.206

In over twenty years in this business I have never done a neck mount and never will. I just don't think that it does the animal justice and will not look "right". It's not my fault the customer screwed up the cape, but I'll be more than glad to find a replacement cape for him and do a quality mount.

Neck Mounts

This response submitted by Susan on 05/31/2004 at 11:04. ( (working on one) ) 199.90.9.18

In the future,try to keep some pictures of neck mounts (hanging on the wall beside a standard shoulder mount) to show the customer the difference. Once they see the "cut-down" version, they'll usually opt for getting another cape or having an antler mount done. Just make sure you get enough deposit to cover your trouble(insurance), in case the customer sends his cousin in to "check out your heads"as a prospective customer(spy-and to see how his cousins' mount looks). "Cause if his cousin doesn't like how you did his mount, chances are the mount might not getpicked-up. Been there, done that-still got that joker on the wall down at the local sportsman's shop. I have it set-up as an example of what can happen if your cape is cut too short-along with an informative display/explaination on how, and where to quite cutting the cape on a deer for a shoulder mount-with added illustrations for "cutting areas" for 1/2 mounts. I know this may help the other area Taxidermists, I know it has helped us! Hey, all the QUILTING and SEWING repairs done have sharply nosedived- especially since I put a note on the display about how this could help cut down on the expenses incurred for the repairs; as well as insure a better looking mount for the hunter to have on display.
-Susan

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu