Oryx Antler Removal

Submitted by Shann on 06/07/2004 at 06:19. ( davistaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 68.35.191.182

Any idea's how to remove Oryx antlers that have been in the freezer for aprox. 4 yrs? Thanks in advance.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Shann

This response submitted by Coyote on 06/07/2004 at 08:51. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.47.233.175

Oryx do not have antlers. Deer have antlers, so does moose, elk, caribou. These are shed every year, and a new set is grown the following year. Oryx have horns. Horns grow constantly on the animal and don't fall off. The only animal that has horns that shed them annually is the pronghorn. As for removing the horns on an oryx, your best bet is to bag them up and place them in the sun for a weeks or two. Then with a sharp twist they should come off the core.

Coyote

My mistake!

This response submitted by Shann on 06/07/2004 at 15:33. ( davistaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 68.35.191.182

Sorry i called them antlers and not horns. It was 4am and I had antlers on my brain. Coyote thanks for all the info. I did not know if since they were in the freezer for so long, if putting them in a bag would still work.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu