Boar Question

Submitted by Ryan L on 06/18/2004 at 15:40. ( ) 4.157.71.1

I recently took in a boar that my customer shot on a game farm. I got the form in the other day and started to do some measuring because the form looked way longer than the customers cape I had hanging there drying. The tape on the form from the lower lip to the arm pit read 24" and the same measurement I got on the dry cape was 18". I don't know if I'll get mch stretch out of a boar cape once it is rehydrated or not but even if I do 6" seems like alot to me. Do you guys or gals with more experience think the rehydrated cape will ralax out enough or is there some other measures I'll have to take? The arm pit area looks like it's the only area that they cut too short. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Ryan, I'm confused

This response submitted by George on 06/18/2004 at 16:36. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.252.198

Why was the hide hanging there drying? And why would you have ordered a form that wasn't ordered using the measurements taken off the fresh carcass? If you measured the hog right when it came in the door and then ordered a matching form, there's no reason it shouldn't fit. Now if you had the hide with no hog head to measure, you should have tanned the hide and left it wet, measured the wet hide, and ordered the matching form. Any of those scenarios work out that the hide always fits the form. As far as an "armpit to the lower lip" measurement, I don't ever recall a form having that kind of information on it. Basically on a hog, eye to nose tip is all that matters to me.

I think you misunderstood

This response submitted by Ryan L on 06/18/2004 at 17:33. ( ) 4.157.68.73

What I was trying to say is that the cape was cut too short for the form by the people at the hunting preserve. My eye to nose and neck measurements are right on but the cape is too short to reach the back of the form. Also, the hide was hanging there drying after I salted it twice. After it is dry, I will rehydrate it then pickle, tan,etc. Any help will still be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

hmmn

This response submitted by ryan on 06/18/2004 at 18:30. ( ) 4.224.75.16

cut the mannikan down, explain to your customer what he or they did wrong, and charge him for the extra labor

Why let the cape dry, Ryan?

This response submitted by George on 06/18/2004 at 19:40. ( ) 149.174.164.22

We've covered that extensively. No purpose is served in letting the cape completely dry out once the water has been drawn out of the hide. Rehydration stresses a hide more than simply entering it into the pickle after the hide stops "weeping".

The information on the form given by "ryan" is also correct. Nothing you can do about that except cut the form. I've found that a common occurrence for "pick a pet" farms.

Thanks for the help guys

This response submitted by Ryan L on 06/18/2004 at 20:27. ( ) 4.157.74.242

If it comes down to it I'll shorten the form. I'll also have to research not drying a hide. It would save alot of time. Thanks again, Ryan

Since

This response submitted by Wayne R on 06/18/2004 at 20:50. ( therodds@msn.com ) 206.216.168.63

Since it sounds like you haven't gone through all the steps in tanning this hide, wait until you do before you decide to cut that form. I still dry my capes rock hard before I go about tanning them. It is the method I prefer. Since you have already done this you will have to try it the way George suggested next time and see which way you prefer to do it.

One more Ryan

This response submitted by Paul on 06/18/2004 at 20:54. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 69.142.113.76

wait to cut the form until you get it tanned, than test fit. Pigs always look to short to me also when I get them in, but I always seem to cut excess hide off anyway. Some offset forms may be to long for some capes on one side if caped off right at the shoulder. Don't worry about salted cape size its the tanned size you want.

Thanks Again

This response submitted by Ryan L on 06/20/2004 at 09:48. ( ) dialup-4.157.74.56.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net

Hopfully it will relax out enough for me to be able to mount it up with enough skin to reach the back of the form. Ryan

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu