Mites in my beetle cage

Submitted by Scott on 06/25/2004 at 02:40. ( ) proxys.ia2.marketscore.com

I had a huge infestation in my beetle boxes and cleaned the boxes as best I could. I'm going to introduce a new colony to the boxes and want to make sure all the mites are gone and dead first. I have kept the humidity below 20%. Since I can't freeze my boxes (too big) should I spray some amonia in it or what? I want to kill any mites that might be left, but I don't want to have anything left that might harm my beetles. Thanks for the help.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

clean beetle box

This response submitted by Paul on 06/25/2004 at 02:57. ( ) 64.31.7.104

try boiling water? I think that bee keepers burn/scortch or torch the insides of hives (or supers)with flaims to kill mites and other unwanted bugs.

dry dry dry....

This response submitted by Raven on 06/25/2004 at 18:12. ( ) d150-166-254.home.cgocable.net

Mites have a very hard time living in dry environments. At 20% relative humidity you should have no problems. Just make sure that your substrate is not higher than the ambient humidity. Keeping the substrate dry is critical. Basic rule of thumb? Subtrate dry, specimen wet. Quarantine your colony, making sure you follow that rule and the problem will correct itself in time.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu