Repairing drummed ears...

Submitted by Drew on 9/12/04 at 4:17 PM. ( ) 209.206.240.23

Hey guys, I have to repair some ears (if possible) that are drummed on a mulie mount that is a couple years old. You can lightly squeeze the ears and it will make a crinkle noise, but the skin is not cracked yet.

I was thinking you could take a syringe and inject the air pocket with something like epoxy etc? Think this would work to fill the void? What glue/adhesive would you try if you were going to attempt this? Bondo, epoxy, fiberglass etc. Or is this a lost cause?

THANKS!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Re-hydrate

This response submitted by Mike W. on 9/12/04 at 6:14 PM. ( ) 155.80.89.13

The main thing is to get a good bond from the get go. Lots of info on the Orange button. But you might be able to fix it by placing a damp sponge or rag over the drummed areas, and gently clamping with light pressure overnight. Inject your glue the next day, and re-clamp with cardboard liners until dry. Works for me. Good luck.

thanks, but...

This response submitted by Drew on 9/13/04 at 1:45 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.128

I have never had any luck rehydrating a mount or cape that is a couple years old. They just rip apart.

ear problem

This response submitted by Laurier on 9/13/04 at 9:43 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.208.242

Drew if the ears rip apart it is because the acid was not neutralized when tanning,and if you try to re-hydrate the ears the hair may slip.
If you still want to try it ,put wet rags in the ears and around it ,put a bag over the rags,and use an elastic over it,and leave it till morning.

smooth cast

This response submitted by Hugh on 9/14/04 at 8:47 AM. ( hughjusthugh@aol.com ) 24.213.59.179

Heres something I used. Take some two part casting agent(smooth cast, etc). Mix it up and dump it in a syringe with a large gauge needle. Tip the mount so that youre filling the void area and inject the needle through the skin at the top of the void. Be sure to work quickly but don't over fill. Keep some acetone or laquer thinner handy to clean up any spills. It will fill the void, and won't expand.

Hugh

thanks Hugh

This response submitted by Drew on 9/14/04 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.198

I will try that, thanks Hugh.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu