cleaning greasy yellow bones

Submitted by Fred on 9/15/04 at 4:49 PM. ( black_maria_99@yahoo.com ) 201.128.215.113

An complete horse skeleton reached my artist workshop (Mexico) 2 days ago. It has been put together by the local veterinary school students and they didn't do such a good job at it. The skeleton is dark yellow for lack of previous degreasing. Worst of all, it has been varnished. Now, my question is: is it possible to clean the thing thouroughly, varnish and tarnish included, and give it that nice white look?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Try it and find out....

This response submitted by Raven on 9/15/04 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Strip the old coating off with acetone then give it all a good long soak (liek amonth) in a solution of Rittles Super Solvent and see how it looks. If it's helping - change the water and soak it some more.

Be sure you get all the clear coating off before attempting to degrease though.

Good luck - post again and let us know how it turned out! =)

Thanks to raven

This response submitted by Fred on 9/15/04 at 8:52 PM. ( black_maria_99@yahoo.com ) 201.128.215.113

I heard about that wonderful Super solvent... I hope that I will be able to find it in Mexico. Hopefully something similar will be available. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I shall let you know how I got on. Cheerio!

What is the chemical formula of Rittel super solvent?

This response submitted by Fred on 9/15/04 at 9:50 PM. ( black_maria_99@yahoo.com ) 201.128.215.113

Raven, you might know that. Thinking of it now, that Rittel super stuff might not be available in Mexico under that brand name. It's composition will help to find a similar product though. Mind, Rittel might be copyrighted...

Just order it and have it shipped...

This response submitted by Raven on 9/15/04 at 11:12 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Click on the word >>> Rittel <<< and it will link you to Bruce Rittels site. Order it from there and he can ship it to you. I live in Canada and had it sent here. Im doing cetacea material (whales and dolphins) with it and it's incredible. I am REALLY impressed with how well it worked. I'll be ordering a lot of it for my own projects.

raven

This response submitted by tom on 9/15/04 at 11:30 PM. ( ) 66.82.9.40

What cetaceans are you doing and how good is it? Humpback? Gray? Dolphins?

I sent a mail

This response submitted by Fred on 9/15/04 at 11:34 PM. ( black_maria_99@yahoo.com ) 201.128.215.113

Well, Raven, I did just that (clicked on Rittels site). You are fine in Canada because Rittels's got 3 distributors there. I will send them a mail in a minute and check out if chemical products can be air shipped to Mexico. It's not an easy thing nowadays.
I will manage something somehow. Thanks a milion for your help

I got mine...

This response submitted by Raven on 9/16/04 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 24.150.166.254

Fred; I got mine straight from Bruce... didn't know there were Canadian distributors, it came to me from the US.

Tom; As the cetacea I am doing are for my employer I cannot give specific information as to specimens or who they are for etc. I can say though that the Super Solvent is working incredibly well. I traditionally have used acetone etc. for degreasing but there is a law restricting it's use to 5 gallons in an open container. No where near large enough for the stuff we have. This made me post a few months back asking for a non flammable product that would do the job, and that good old Dawn detergent just wasn't 'cutting' it. Bruce sent me a sample of his Super Solvent and I have absolutely fallen in love with the stuff! All of my own osteo prep projects will rely on Super Solvent to degrease - no doubts whatsoever! Bring on the bear skulls!

That's right

This response submitted by Fred on 9/16/04 at 10:05 PM. ( black_maria_99@yahoo.com ) 201.128.215.113

Raven, I got an answer from the Rittel top man and there is no problem to ship his products UPS to Mexico. That's excellent news, that is. Well, now, I shall give that super solvent a try very soon and hope to rave about it too. A million thanks for your time.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu