mule deer

Submitted by bob on 9/15/04 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 206.138.130.2

I have had a whole mule deer head in my freezer neck meat and all for about 10 months a friend let me have it because I wanted to start doing a little taxidermy for myself. Problem is that it wasn't wrapped completely tight and was in a frost free freezer do you think it is freezer burned or do you think it will be salvageable. Thanks for all your help.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Well?

This response submitted by MichelleW on 9/15/04 at 10:17 PM. ( blacktail21@hotmail.com ) 209.214.64.19

You won't know til you look at it. Pick a day to cape it out. If their is a little bit of freezer burn on it it can still be used. If it does have freezer burn it will more than likely be the ears, nose and lips.

go ahead

This response submitted by john z on 9/15/04 at 10:28 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.37

If this is your first, go ahead and try it, you have got nothing to lose. Yes it will be freezer burnt, freezer burn is only the absence of water, so when you soak it in a pickle, it will re-hydrate the burnt areas, when you turn the ears, only do 75% of the ear for the tips will be dried out, then finish the rest of the turning after it has soaked in the pickle. If it has antlers, the base of the horn will be burnt so when you cut around the antler area, use a spray bottle of water and soak it as you go, this will help it come off easyer. Next time, keep it in a chest freezer, and not a kitchen refrigerator. Same goes for food to.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu