OLD tanned moose cape

Submitted by Doug on 9/17/04 at 9:27 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.94

I have a "professionally tanned" moose cape that is old...may 6-7 years old. The guy I bought it from said it MAY have some dry rot about the face, but that it is probably mountable. I want to sell this cape, but only if it IS mountable. The cape is dry and I don't know what to look for to determine if it is mountable. I'd appreciate knowing how to determine if this cape is useable.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Only ONE Way.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 9/17/04 at 11:28 PM. ( ) 64.122.57.1

.....To find out. Rehydrate it and see if it will fall apart. If it doesn't fall apart, see what kind of stretch you can get out of it. You will have to do that anyway to determine the size. If it doesn't turn to mush or tear up when you stretch it, it's ok and you can sell it.

Would be interested

This response submitted by Pat on 9/18/04 at 8:40 AM. ( pr338@hotmail.com ) 69.169.197.169

I would be interested in takeing a chance on it for the right price.Let me know what you would want for it.I also have a bunch of stuff to trade with.I would not want it soaked though.Shoot me an emailThanks.

It is no good...

This response submitted by Drew on 9/18/04 at 2:36 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.179

I am willing to bet the cape is no good. They dry out too much if not hydrated and kept frozen. You will know when you hydrate it. I recently soaked up a whitetail cape that was a few years old. It literally fell apart with minutes if hitting the water. The leather was so brittle that I grabbed the face and went to pull it out of the water to throw it away, and the face tore off.

It may work

This response submitted by Nate on 9/18/04 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 67.42.121.56

I had an elk cape that was ten years old. The main problem was in the ears. I had to wrap salted rags around them and let it sweat a little longer. It worked,,,soak it up you have nothing to loose.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu