Antelope horn removal?

Submitted by John on 9/28/04 at 7:34 AM. ( jmadson@nconnect.net ) 66.84.173.122

Ok I have read all the archieves I could find but still have a question. If the skull plate and horns have sat out and dried, will the double bagging with a little bit of water still work to rot them off? I am staying away from the microwave for the sake of staying married and my last option would be to boil them off based on the success to problem ratio I have read.
thanks
John

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

twist and pull

This response submitted by Marshell on 9/28/04 at 9:35 AM. ( ) 67.140.204.98

John,
when you try to remove the horn twist it rather than pull it. You'll find that it will pop off quite easy.

Boil them

This response submitted by George on 9/28/04 at 9:35 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 67.140.204.98

That's the only real option you have now that they have dried. The "horns" are really compressed hairs much like on a rhinoceros so be VERY CAREFUL and watch the process. Don't walk away. Every 5 minutes, remove them and attempt to twist them free.

Soak them in water

This response submitted by Evelyn on 9/28/04 at 12:53 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

I do all my antleope horn removals this way. Just submerge them in a bucket of water and the'll turn loose fairly soon (event he dried hard ones). If the weather is warm it won't take any time at all (about a week). If you have cold weather, keep the water in the bucket warm with a small aquarium heater. I would not boil them if you have never boiled horns before. Boiling them is tricky and can lead to horn damage if done incorrectly.

agree with water

This response submitted by wayne on 9/28/04 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 198.81.26.80

the only way i remove antelope horns is if fresh put them in a black garbage bag with a little water set them the sun and about an hour later the are off if they are dried i soak them in water and in about aweek they pop off the seceret is to submerge them all the way to the tips

I agree too

This response submitted by Jim on 10/2/04 at 12:23 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

The water works.I add a little Kemal 4 and usually can pop them off the next day.It's safe and if you can't get to them for a few days,no harm done.Dig around the horn bases with a knife to free them up a little before you start twisting and pulling.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu