Got the first one in last night....

Submitted by Griz on 9/28/04 at 9:17 AM. ( ) 69.66.87.202

Well it's official. Got my first deer head of the season in last night. A girls first deer, a medium eight point. I hate these thin, warm weather capes though. People don't realize how easy they slip. This one had its fall coat, save a few red guard hairs down its mane.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

me 2

This response submitted by Mr. T on 9/28/04 at 10:09 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.102

This little buck had fly eggs infested in the eyes, ears, nose, and lips, even around the antler burrs. I bagged it and froze it. I received it less then 24 hours after the kill, but the day was a warm 70 deg. I hope the cape is ok.

here's one

This response submitted by Bob Jungman Fresno CA. on 9/28/04 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 68.124.240.122

Monday I got in 2 forkeys could have been brothers, shot 3 hrs apart.
the second one shot in the jaw. The whole lower jaw gone yup, gone blown off.
The shooter said "Aw, just sew it up, it'll be OK. If that's not enough
he slit the brisket and neck up to the tongue, on both bucks. I'm counting
on the butcher go get in a couple the hunters don't want so I can have the
capes. Oh Well. That's it for the challenge. Bob.

Good luck Bob Jungman

This response submitted by Mr. T on 9/29/04 at 5:54 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.126

I have a very hard time trying to get capes from the butcher shop, they are only interested in ripping the hide off, and it is easy for them to cut the cape up to the jaw bone, They just cant see that I would offer them $20 for a nice cape, and they are setteling for $8 from the fur buyer when he comes around. They cant do math I guess.

I hang around the processing plant on opening week...

This response submitted by Luther on 9/30/04 at 2:04 AM. ( ) 12.160.149.10

of the deer seasons . If a nice deer comes in that isnt going to get mounted, I skin it for the butcher for the cape. I win cause I get plenty of spare capes, and he wins cause he gets some free labor.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu