Shaving the back of shoulder mount

Submitted by Julie on 9/28/04 at 10:48 AM. ( ) 65.54.98.167

Just wondering what everyone was using to shave the back of shoulder mounts? I have tried several of the grooming clippers and the blades only last for about 10 heads and then they're dull. I've seen horse clippers for $140 and up, do I need to spend that much?

Any suggestions?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

?

This response submitted by gordon on 9/28/04 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 142.177.73.56

are you shaving the hair? and y, if u do?

Julie

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 9/28/04 at 12:43 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.148

If youre talking about trimming the hair where it lays against the wall, try this...just cut at an angle with your scalpel. Its already getting dull from trimming the skin, the thread, and misc procedures as the mount was being assembled, so you might as well exhaust it that way. Some use shear type scissors too.

Try this

This response submitted by mike c on 9/29/04 at 3:27 PM. ( ) 168.159.190.36

Julie: I learned this at the CT taxidermist show this summer. I used to staple the skin on the back of the form and it left big clumps no matter how carefull I was. Cut the skin about 3/4 of an inch past the backboard, all the way around the form. Take an electric or phneumatic stapler and hold the hair back while you staple the skin to the backboard. When you get done there is a uniform amount of skin all the way around the back panel and there is no need for shaving or cutting v incisions in the skin. I just did one last week and it worked out quite well. Hope his helps
Mike C

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu