Mounting an elk rack to a plaque

Submitted by Michelle Blanchard on 9/21/04 at 9:36 PM. ( wmeadowlark@att.net ) 12.72.254.232

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a 3x4 elk rack with just the skull plate (it was sawn off the skull and crooked at that.) I would like to mount it to a wooden plaque as is, meaning nothing covering the natural bone. I don't want screw heads showing, so I am planning on putting the screws in from the back of the plaque. The problem is, I don't know what kind of screws to use and whether the bone will hold them. I was wondering if I were to drill the holes into the skullplate at the thickest points I can find on it (if you think of it as a slightly out of true square clockface, those points would be at 12, 4, and 8) and then Plastic wood into those holes, and then use a slightly larger diamater screw, cleaning up the Plastic wood that squeezes out. Is this a good idea? I do apologize if this subject has been covered before, I see there's months and months of archives and honestly, I don't have the time or inclination to go through them all. If anyone out there has a better idea of mounting this lovely rack I would appreciate hearing your advice.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

sounds to me

This response submitted by Elmer on 9/21/04 at 10:10 PM. ( Tops ) 205.188.117.8

You want a answer but want to take a short cut to it but I don't see anyway to mount that rack with out the screw showing. it is too heavy Take the time and look but I do believe you will not find the short cut that will keep the screw from showing you will have to cover them .

skull

This response submitted by Drew on 9/21/04 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.227

A rag bull won't weigh much, so if you have the room in the skull cavity, you can bondo in a piece of wood, then screw into that wood piece.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu