Looking for information about a large deer

Submitted by Todd B on 10/1/04 at 8:18 PM. ( ) 4.225.21.53

I am looking for a cape for a client. He shot a deer in Alberta Canada with a weight of 300 lbs. I am not sure approximately what neck size I would look for to replace this cape. Is anyone familiar with Alberta deer? I would appreciate some input here please.

Todd B

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Gonna need a bruiser Todd

This response submitted by George on 10/1/04 at 11:18 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

These deer ROUTINELY go over 300 pounds on the hoof and getting one over 400 isn't that unusual. According to the chest measurement nomogram I have, my buddy killed one in far western Saskatchewan last year that went 450 on the hoof. These deer have "short noses" because their necks are so big. They have hair 2 inches in length. Best idea is to contact Ken Walker or Brian Dobson in Alberta about the possibility of obtaining an "extra" hide. I know that one time, Earl McSorley had some of these capes that were already tanned. They won't be cheap regardless of where you find one, but you certainly won't be able to pass off anything we have in the US as one of them either.

PS If you doubt what I'm saying, I have my buddy's deer mounted in the shop right now and it's sitting between two 200+lb field dressed Delaware deer. The Delaware deer look like yearlings next to this monster. It fit on Noonkester's biggest whitetail form and has an 8 1/4 McKenzie changeout head on it and the hide fit LOOSELY.

Northern deer-BIG

This response submitted by Jim on 10/2/04 at 12:13 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

Todd,those big Northern whitetails usually are about 8"x24"-26".long haired with dark foreheads.Ideally you would want to find a cape from:Alberta,BC,Saskatchewan,Manitoba etc..Advertise here.There are always a few floating around in the lower 48 also.George is right,you won't get one for a song and a dance.They are premium capes so expect a premium price-probably $100 to 150.00 and up.Good luck.

Todd

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 10/2/04 at 1:42 AM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 205.188.116.134

Did some searchin' for ya. You might want to check this out. Jeff F. http://www.taxidermyplus.com/

Thanks Guys

This response submitted by Todd B on 10/2/04 at 10:22 AM. ( ) 4.225.22.27

I will check out the places you all mentioned. I just know the client definately wants one from Alberta. So substituting is not an option. I do not doubt you George I was just wondering where to find one.

Thanks again.

Todd B

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu