Antelope horns

Submitted by Scott on 10/6/04 at 11:32 AM. ( ) 63.193.177.254

After reading the archives, I will probably try the microwave method of removing the horns, but if I have to put them in water to do it, do I have to worry about the horns coming apart like bison horns since they are made of hair?

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

caution

This response submitted by jim on 10/6/04 at 2:05 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

Carefull you can EASILY cause a boil or blister on the horn from microwaving. You're wife will also hate you from the smell.

Macerate them

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/6/04 at 2:45 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

I found maceration the best way to release the horns. Just put the skull into a bucket of water and give it a week or two. Check every other day and see if they are starting to come of. Antelope horns remove rather quickly and are not as stuborn like sheep horns. if you don't leave the horns in the water for months on end they won't be hurt by it.

Mmmmm, I'd forego the water on these "horns"

This response submitted by George on 10/6/04 at 2:49 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

Antelope horns are just like antelope HAIR. They almost fall out just as easily. Just put them in a plastic bag and tie the end tight. In 3 or 4 days, you should be able to grab them and with a simple twist, they should just pop off. I'd be scared the water would separate the hair near the bases that actually forms the horn

Thanks George,

This response submitted by Scott on 10/6/04 at 3:25 PM. ( ) 63.193.177.254

That's what I was afraid of. I once had an experience where buffalo horns had pieces curl and peel back. I don't want that to happen here.

again, Im with Geo

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/6/04 at 11:46 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.177

I just step on the skull plate, grab the horns, and twist and pull. It kills my aching back, but they come off nice after a couple days.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu