B&C Pronghorn......what to do...

Submitted by mark on 10/6/04 at 10:24 PM. ( OutdoorMemoriesTaxidermy@msn.com ) 4.155.90.184

I recently recieved a "goat"...the hunter said the guide claims it will make the "book". I know there is a drying period for measuring trophies and all, but how important is it to get the horns off after it's caped. Is it ok to let the horns stay on the skull for the 60 day drying period. Right now he's back in the freezer.....what to do?
thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

what Ive done

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 10/6/04 at 11:11 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.177

I pull the horns off the cores and let them dry for the drying period. I dont reattach them until I mount them anyway, so cleaning them and drying them seems to be the way. Thats how the P&Y measurer in my area likes them. Anyone else?

DON'T REMOVE THEM...

This response submitted by Drew on 10/6/04 at 11:28 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.138

I recently heard that they changed the rules and now the antelope has to be scored before it is removed from the bone, so you have to wait some sort of period of time. I could be wrong and it could be a rumor, i would contact PY or BC and find out before you remove them and void the trophy to be sure.

Leave them on

This response submitted by Jim on 10/7/04 at 12:32 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.132

I would leave them on.If you do pop them,bondo them back right away.If you leave them off the cores they will shrink more.Don't know if they are requiring that they stay on the cores,kind of doubt it.I can tell you that if the official measurer finds out they were in the freezer,he will make you wait another 60 days after they come out of the freezer.Not preaching-just so you are aware of that.

Mark, Go to the source!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 10/7/04 at 1:51 AM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.100.132

Scroll down a little bit on this link and you'll find specific pronghorn specs. Peace. http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_policies.asp?area=bgRecords#drying

from the B&C web site

This response submitted by Official scorer on 10/7/04 at 7:46 AM. ( ) 128.118.40.77

HORN PREPARATION
Shrinkage of horns (pronghorns, goats, etc.) has been a concern of many trophy owners over the years. It is acceptable to remove horns from the skull, clean them, and then have them reset with a bonding substance as long as the horns are not altered in the process. Thus, a bonding substance can be used but its presence cannot enhance the horn's basal circumference. Alteration of the basal circumference is grounds for disqualification of the trophy.

the start of the 60 days begins when you re-attach the horns.

don't clean

This response submitted by Keith on 10/7/04 at 7:46 PM. ( ) 67.2.181.6

Don't pull the horns off the core until they are scored. They will loose too much mass otherwise. It does make it harder to boil them off, but it can be done.

Also, Bondo'ing horns back on may be against the "rule's", unless they changed them again. A couple years ago, automotive putty was not accepted by B&C, as a way to reattach horns.

60 days

This response submitted by Wayne R on 10/7/04 at 8:40 PM. ( therodds@msn.com ) 4.156.138.6

I am an official measurer for B&C and four other record books. There is no inside spread measurment taken for the final score as on a whitetail. The horns are actually easier to measure if they will come off the core. What would jeopardize the animal making the book is if the horns were reattached using an excessive amount of epoxie to spread the base of the horn so that you could not get an accurate circumferance measurement. That would also go for pronghorn antelope. The thing is you put it in the freezer and it can not be officially measured until you take it out and let it dry for 60 days at normal room temperature whether you take the horns off the core or not. I would clean them and place them back on the cores to dry and wait 60 days to get it measured.

Spread Measurements

This response submitted by Wayne R on 10/8/04 at 6:51 AM. ( therodds@msn.com ) 4.156.132.65

After reading my post I need to explain that all inside or outsde spread measurements taken on any horned animal are supplementary data and are not figured into the final score. All antlered animals the inside or outside spread measurments are part of the final score. This is why loose horns can be measured and antlered game can not be measured if the skull plate is not intact. In all cases it is just best to measure them before they are mounted.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu