septum and jawset?

Submitted by ryan on 10/7/04 at 9:37 AM. ( rjrtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 66.153.14.172

what kind of septum should i use in a caribou mount? i looked in all the catalogs but couldnt find one for a caribou. i thought an elk would be too big. also, im replacing a jawset on an old tiger rug. what kind of jawset should i use? seems that mohr doesnt have one for a tiger. i thought a lioness might work. any tips from the veterans would help. thank you ryan

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Caribou

This response submitted by George on 10/7/04 at 10:44 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.131

Personally, I DON'T use a septum on a caribou. I guess the purests who compete will argue, but a caribou's nostrils seldom open enough to SEE the septum. The nose pad is hairy and I don't open the nostrils so much as to expose a septum area. Once tucked properly, the hairs almost completely cover the nostril opening anyway.

thanks

This response submitted by ryan on 10/7/04 at 5:10 PM. ( rjrtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 66.155.248.240

thanks for the tip george. i believe i met you at the last connecticut show. it was my first time, you said a few words at the dinner. anyway, thanks for the tip. ryan

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu