skinning pronghorn

Submitted by mark on 10/18/04 at 9:38 PM. ( ) 4.155.90.48

I searched the archives.....
This is my first Pronghorn.....This may be a dumb question...can you/should you use a short incision as with whitetails or is there a reason not to. With the brittle hair, what should I watch for?
THANKS

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

I wouldn't use a short incision

This response submitted by George on 10/18/04 at 11:19 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.133

That hair is so unstable, pulling that "sock" over a mannikin is likely to make huge bald spots on your mount. The skin is relatively stable and strong, but take particular care with getting hair caught in your theads. If it's bloodstained, it WILL BE bloodstained as the hair is hollow but open on the ends. I remove the cases and mount with the cores only. It's easier to install the horn cases after it's mounted, but make SURE you use good EPOXY glue. Bondo CAN disbond and cause you embarassment. I know. I had a B&C head bound across my shop floor when the customer decided to carry it out by the horns. That was over 25 years ago and I've NEVER used Bondo since.

I always use a short incision

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/19/04 at 3:36 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.141

I prefer any animal with a short incision. Antelopes are no different in this aspect then deer or elk or caribou. I always tell my customer when they go antelope hunting to make sure to cape them out like a deer so I can do the short incision on them. Works great. Never had a bald spot on any of them mounted with the short incision.

well

This response submitted by wilson on 10/19/04 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.141

I think there is a difference between a speed goat and a deer; goats have 5 different hair patterns that need to be set just writ [not that I can do it] but adjusting is ezyer with the long cut.

Maybe Wilson

This response submitted by Evelyn on 10/20/04 at 7:14 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.16

you need to visit me and I'll show you how its done right with the short incision. LOL

Evelyn

This response submitted by wilson on 10/28/04 at 4:32 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.131

You know you can't teach old Dogs new tricks!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu