Getting rid of ticks on fresh capes

Submitted by mrdux on 10/24/04 at 11:46 PM. ( mrdux@refugemail.com ) 68.217.178.163

Here is west KY we get lots of ticks on deer and mammals that come to the studio. When practical, I like to skin, flesh and turn my capes before they are frozen. The ticks aren't a problem after freezing the capes but I've grown tired of them crawling up my arms while working on deer and such.Any solutions for getting rid of them? I have thought of putting the skins/capes in a plastic bag or container with some permanone tick repellant but I really want the little suckers dead. Advice will be most welcome.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

tick spray

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 10/25/04 at 12:16 AM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

When I get a tick infested head to cape, I just spray it with a cheap WalMart tick spray, ticks die, and I go on about the skinning business. Really not much of a problem.

I would recommend freezing anyhow.

This response submitted by Todd B on 10/25/04 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 4.224.159.232

I have a good friend who liked to cape deer as soon as they came in the shop. He ended up with a festering sore. That sore ended up being a very teeny tiny tick which in turn gave him lyme disease. So you gotta be careful.

Todd B

plastic bag...

This response submitted by drew on 10/27/04 at 1:10 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.210

Hose it down with tick spray and put it in a trash bag tied shut for an hour or so, then cape it out.

my system

This response submitted by terryr on 10/29/04 at 3:07 PM. ( ) 63.85.32.80

most of my work comes in during gun season in a large chunk - 6 - 10 capes at a time - the first year i didnt try to control the ticks which were NUMEROUS - i estimate 20-35 per deer - the second year i went to the bag method - what i do is get an EXTRA LARGE plastic bag that will completely enclose the head and antlers - the first deer a stick in bag and then spray in bag (not necessarally on deer itself) - i am filling the air inside bag with bug killer - i let that sit for 30 minutes and then pull it out of bag - i then take #2 cape and antlers and stick it in bag and gas it - i then go back to cape #1 and skin it - i keep this 'rolling' process going and saw roughly 8-12 ticks total still alive on 10 heads - quite an improvement

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu