finished mount slipping

Submitted by brad on 11/12/04 at 8:29 PM. ( brad@valleyoffice.com ) 4.224.207.63

i have my capes comercialy tanned(whitetails) and the last one i got back semmed ok upon arrival. after soaking in kemal-4 for about 10 min i mounted it. about the time i got close to finishing up i noticed the hair all over was VERY loose. any pointers would help. Was it me and the kemal or was it the tannery? oh ya by the way i took the cape out of the freezer that same morning so it wasnt sitting around long at all i thawed it in the fridge.
thanks, brad

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

one more thing

This response submitted by me again on 11/12/04 at 8:30 PM. ( ) 4.224.207.63

i wondered if theres any way to set the hair after its mounted and drying?

Try this

This response submitted by CrossBow on 11/13/04 at 9:51 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.132

I had a cape whith loose hair all over it after mounting. And the tanning was done fine. Don't know why the hair was loose. But I spryed Denatured alcohol all over and worked it in, being easy with it. And then let it set for 4 or 5 days and it turned out fine. now you have to pull hard to get a hair out.

Hope this helps,
CrossBow

get it dry

This response submitted by Michelle B on 11/13/04 at 8:43 PM. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.93

Brad you really need to get a fan on it to help it dry quickly. I had a muley do that to me once, hair not actually slipping but loose and would come out easy. Just keep a real close watch on eyes & lips etc. that they're not drying to fast and pulling open. Also do you have or need a dehumidifier in your shop? To much moisture in the shop air will cause you problems from start to finish w/ your mounts.
PS. denatured alcohol may be a good idea, like Coyote said. If you can get it on the skin without loosening the hair more.

I wouldn't

This response submitted by Alex on 11/14/04 at 11:09 AM. ( ) 66.32.117.178

Send another cape to that tannery, they are probably shaving the capes to thin and cutting into the Hair roots.
Or capes have bacteria in it.

Just out of curiosity ,who tanned them?

Slippage...

This response submitted by James Parrish on 11/15/04 at 7:41 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

The main source of slippage is bacterial damage to the epidermis. This damage if often done before you ever receive the cape, but you may not experience the slip until after it is tanned. The tanning process DOES NOT fix a damaged epidermis. It should stop further damage. Once the mount is totally dry, the hair should be set. I would spray the denatured alcohol as mentioned, and that should help tighten it up a bit. Watch it and get it dry. Handle the hide as little as possible until it is totally dry. Good Luck!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu