Deer eye lids

Submitted by Cathy on 11/12/04 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.198

I mounted a deer last spring and took it to a show a couple of months later. Today I saw to my horror that the lower eyelid and tear duct on one side have shrunk and pulled away. This, of course means this could be happening to my customer's deer. I dry my heads in front of a fan for up to a week before finishing. I also thought (wrongly)that if it didn't move for a month or two, it wouldn't move! It looked fine at the show. Is this as simple as more drying time, even if it seems dry? I super glue lower eyelids, too, although not up to the glass, usually. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

try to rehydrate it

This response submitted by brad on 11/12/04 at 8:53 PM. ( brad@valleyoffice.com ) 4.224.207.63

try the old wet towel trick.
dont let it get to wet, just enough to rehydrate and reposition.(if the glue will let you. you could try epoxy on the lid and duct slot, thats what i use and they seem stuck for life. been doing that for 5 years and never had one of my own move on me.

p.s. how was the show? good luck with everything
brad

Couple things going on.

This response submitted by John C on 11/12/04 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Change to Epo-Grip 2part hide adhesive and the drying.

When you dry a deerhead you can draw the moisture out in a few days, but the leather will suckup some moisture in the next couple weeks.

I guess its best describe like frost heave on a foundation.

I would change hide adhesive and make sure the forms is sanded perfect, I went to sandblating them all of a few minutes and ten million hole to hold the glue.

Too Many ?

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/14/04 at 1:55 PM. ( ) 66.119.33.156

To give you a real answer, you really need to give a lot more information. Tanned, DP, or what? Hide paste(what kind?)? Did you sand the form properly? General temp. and humidity conditions in your shop?

I'm back

This response submitted by Cathy on 11/19/04 at 2:51 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.200

You've all probably left this one by now, Sorry I've been gone. I used Manikin Prep and Rinehart paste on a McKenzie form. It was in a humid place for a couple months then a much dryer one for a couple. I know what you'll say, 86 the Prep and use a better paste. I don't like a paste that is too sticky to move the skin an hour after starting, or one I can't get out of the hair. Is Epo-Grip like that? The show was fine, I got second, my fox did better. Thanks for asking.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu