Measuring For A Tube Caped Deer

Submitted by Gary on 11/21/04 at 8:23 PM. ( ) 67.33.240.28

What is the best way to get the form measurement for a tubed caped deer? Do you measure with the cape on, or after it's skinned? It will be dry preserved if this makes any difference. Any help would be appreciated.........Gary

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

On the deer

This response submitted by George on 11/21/04 at 10:05 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.133

With dry preservative you'll get much, much more stretch that any tanned hide you'll ever see, so take the measurements off the live animal and DON'T cut them short. If the tape reads 7x23, order a 7x23.

Listen to George

This response submitted by cur on 11/21/04 at 11:19 PM. ( whatever ) 4.253.68.228

Just remember that stretch allowed by a green DP hide has the return factor of a yoyo. Down here on the coast where high humidity is a constant, DP hides just don't hold up, especially when an inventive taxi turns a 6 1/2 X 18 into a 7 X 22, or worse. Now I would be a liar if I said that I had never done a DP'd deer. Did plenty in the past, years ago and far away from here, but I always measured the neck after skinning and either ordered or built a form to fit. You may be able to crib up to an inch on the neck, but my vote is against it.

Gary

This response submitted by Ron on 11/22/04 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.238

I measure all my deer before I skin them. I just pull the tape kind of snug. And I never ever try to go bigger than the deer was. Not that you can't gain a little but It is is just one of my pet peaves. I like to do stuff just as it was.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu