velvet antlers

Submitted by BSO on 11/15/04 at 9:06 PM. ( ) 129.93.56.215

Its November in Nebraska, and this guy brings me a mule deer he wants mounted. The deer, not having any testicles, still has velvet on its antlers, what do i need to do to preserve it? It has frozen a few times, and someone mentioned that they wouldnt be alive after that. If advised to tan which tan is recommended for this? I also will need some replacement velvet for a small spot on the side that rubbed off while he was transporting the buck, suggestions with this would also be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
BSO

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Freeze Dry or Artificial

This response submitted by James Parrish on 11/16/04 at 7:45 AM. ( ) 204.211.171.11

I would recommend having them freeze dried or replace the velvet with artificial. Research Mannikins offers a service where they replace the natural velvet with artificial velvet.

Perruque Head.

This response submitted by Lorenzo on 11/16/04 at 10:23 AM. ( lorefuma@hotmail.com ) 159.149.102.3

probably is a "perruque head", I think that in the States called also a "Stag".
For me the best thing is the freeze drying, replace velvet looks nice for normal velvet but in my esperience (roe and red deer) the perruque have a fur a little different respect the normal.
please, can you send me a pair of pics of this head?
thanks
Lorenzo

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu