bleeding antlers

Submitted by Todd on 11/22/04 at 6:34 PM. ( ) 64.136.27.227

I took in an elk yesterday. Pretty good sized 7x7. Old bull. Two of the tines were snapped off at the main beam and two are snapped off about 4 inches from the tip. I set the antlers against the wall of the garage, upside down, for no other reason than they balanced better and a couple of hours after I went back out to the garage I had puddles of blood on the ground. It is coming from the broken tine area. The marrow is soft. The bull is hard racked, not in velvet. Any answers. I've never seen this before. Not this late in the year. I checked the search but only found info for velvet antlers which I can understand, but hard antlers in November.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

Ive always suggested that...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/22/04 at 11:53 PM. ( ) 67.138.15.14

...some antler color comes from the blood retained, and heres a perfect example. I think some antler just doesnt harden at a fast enough rate before velvet shedding. Its well documented that antler has a variety of density, from one animal to another. Also one type of deer to another. Caribou are known for this. They seem to grow all the way up till velvet removal, with hardly (sorry for the pun) any time for hardening. I have not seen elk antlers leak like that either, that late, but it does make sense.

The antlers have a red tint

This response submitted by Todd on 11/23/04 at 10:33 AM. ( ) 64.136.27.227

not like the bulls I'm used to ,from heavy pines, that are almost black. So it kind of makes sense. Just suprising to see them bleed. They are still dripping. Not as much as last night. Is there anything I need to do before mounting this bull, to the antlers, to prevent any smell or any bug problems caused by the exposed bloody marrow? Or just let them sit upside down and drain til it stops and dries. Thanks for the help.

blood

This response submitted by Drew on 11/24/04 at 12:35 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.205

All antlers have blood in the center, that is why you have to wait the 60 day drying period before scoring, the horns will dry out and shrink a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it, they will dry out.

thanks

This response submitted by Todd on 11/24/04 at 1:12 AM. ( ) 64.136.27.227

Thanks for the help. Will just let them dry out. The bleeding has almost stopped. Two puddles about a foot around.My buddies are telling me to put them on e bay, says that would put me right in line with the lady who is selling her grilled cheese sandwich with the likeness of the virgin mary on it. LOL

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu