connecting caribou antlers

Submitted by ryan on 11/16/04 at 12:57 PM. ( rjrtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 70.20.8.143

i just got three caribou and ive never done one before. the anlters were split in half and im just wondering the best way to put them back together for mounting? any pointers would be appreciated. thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

antlers

This response submitted by Ron on 11/16/04 at 1:11 PM. ( ) 67.64.29.164

I drill holes along each side of the split and run wire through with the ends coming out the bottom of the skull plate and then tighten it into place and pour it full of bondo to hold. Use at least 4 screws to hold it to the form.

I do it similar, but more permanent

This response submitted by George on 11/16/04 at 9:49 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

I use thin stainless steel strips. I attach 3 of them to one side of the skull. While holding the skull upright, I fit the opposite side up tight and then, with a small selftapping screw, I attach the brackets other end to the loose side. Once in place, I turn the antlers over. Inside the skull cavity I imbed half a dozen #8 screws leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch exposed. Now I mix some fiberglass resin and add a little chop. I pour this into the brain cavity and let set. Once it hardens, it locks all the screws together into a solid piece that won't jar loose or fall apart EVER. I cut it to fit the mannikin with a hack saw just in case I "find" one of those screws.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu