Epo_Grip

Submitted by dave on 11/26/04 at 11:36 AM. ( ) 209.135.159.179

I was told lenoleum glue,silicon works well for a hide paste. I find that hard to believe but who knows? My question is, I have used van-Dykes hide paste and others, and have been successful, but it seems to me, ordering from major supply houses is a pain at times. It would be nice, to be able to go to a lowe's,southerlands, wal-mart etc to buy certain things. After all most things manufactured are made by one company but carry private labels. Anyone know of any good substitutes for Epo-Grip.
thanks

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

They don't make one

This response submitted by George on 11/26/04 at 1:01 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.132

These glues were designed specifically for taxidermy applications. I know, I was the one field testing them. If you're looking for the Fast Set Alternative, try $10 for a 2 ounce package. Do you go to Lowe's for mannikins? How about for glass eyes? Earliners? Jawsets? Hmmm, seems like it wouldn't be too big a "pain" to order the hide paste at the same time you order those other things. It IS part of the mount, isn't it?

Dave we manufacture the products

This response submitted by Steve Steinbring/Epo-Grip on 11/26/04 at 4:17 PM. ( nsc@netrus.net ) 206.251.198.41

Dave,

We at Epo-Grip formulate and make our own products. No label paste overs, you won't find it in hardware stores or Walmarts! We have a list of great taxidermy distributors that carry our products. Call me at 800-888-2467 if you need assistance or distributor information.

No Substitute

This response submitted by cur on 11/26/04 at 4:44 PM. ( whatever ) 4.226.240.29

There is nothing like the Epo-Grip line of products available. You can use some latex carpet adhesives for hide paste, and they will work, but they have a tendency to mold or mildew over time. Most taxidermy hide pastes have additives to prevent mold growth.

Lonestar Taxidermy Supply sells a hide paste that is very similar to the old Buckeye Supreme. I use it for faces a lot. I like the Epo-Grip epoxy because it is also a great surface material for foam bases. I make smal bases over cut insulation foam shapes by pigmenting the Epo-Grip material with powdered tempera paints and troweling it over the foam which is placed on a sheet of 1/4 plate glass coated with silicone release agent. When the foam is covered with the epoxy, surface materials such as sand, aggregate and the like is dumped on, pressed a bit and allowed to set up. After curing, the edges are milled down with a body grinder, holes are grilled and plants and other materials added using the quick set epoxy glues, which are compatable.

I hate single use products which take up shelf space until needed for a specific job. The Epo-Grip hide paste has dozens of uses in the shop, including rigid mold making. I get mine from WASCO and other suppliers.

Ooops!

This response submitted by cur on 11/26/04 at 5:28 PM. ( whatever ) 4.226.240.29

Holes are DRILLED, not GRILLED.........chalk it up to age...

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu