buffalo = back pain

Submitted by mk on 11/27/04 at 7:09 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.57

man, just got done fleshing off meat on a buffalo cape thats one hell of a work out, unbelieveable amount of work just to get the red meat off to salt it. even though the hide is like 1/2-1" thick will the salt be able to dry it out- im guessing it should be able to because i am not fleshing it anymore to hard to do? i salted the sucker and have fans on it right now and am going to send it out. the thing must weight 100lbs, the shipping is going to be insane for ups.

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

lots of work I know

This response submitted by jim on 11/27/04 at 7:18 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

Be sure you score or dice the hide in the heavy skin areas near the neck and head to get the salt to penitrate or it will slip. Keep resalting with fresh salt untill its dry. Only send it to one of the larger est. tanneries.

Mk

This response submitted by ROn on 11/27/04 at 9:13 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.216

Buffalo suck. I just finished one that was huge. The whole hide green weighed 260 pounds. Just the cape was over 100 pds and two inches thick on the shoulders. Took two days to flesh. came out nice though but the next one will cost a heck of a lot more.

just a hint, if it helps

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/27/04 at 10:15 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.243

When possible, I make arrangements for that animal to go to the nearest reputable taxidermist or tannery from where the animal was taken. The tanned cape is what arrives heres at my place. I then reimburse the customer, from my mount cost, the fair price charged, and I take care of tipping the taxidermist when neccesary. Oh my back feels better just typing this out!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu