pronghorn gland smells after tanning

Submitted by john meister on 11/30/04 at 10:17 AM. ( john_meister@fws.gov ) 164.159.244.211

College roommate called yesterday from Colorado to ask my advice. He recently had a pronghorn pedestal mounted with habitat. I have seen pictures and it is a beautiful artistic mount but I don't know who did it. Problem is that the smell is so bad his wife won't let him bring it in the house. He called the taxidermist and they assured him it was a wet tanned cape so my guess is they didn't shave it well enough in the gland. Any suggestions for after the fact smell abatement? Can the gland area be injected with anything? Would something like Malagon help the problem? My studio is in Maine so I've never dealt with pronghorns. Thanks everyone!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

pronghorn smell

This response submitted by Ed on 11/30/04 at 10:22 AM. ( ) 216.135.2.29

Just a guess but I would ask the taxidermist if he separated the horn from the core to clean and preserve. That can also make a stink if not done.

"Stink"

This response submitted by George on 11/30/04 at 10:30 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.132

Like Ed, I wonder about the source of this "stink". Is it chemical, or is it sage grass? Putrid? I don't put much credence in the cheek glands being the source. The last person I had complain to me about the "stink" of the mount had 6 cats in her house that smelled just like cat piss. I asked how she was able to differentiate.

The mount may not be totally dry either. Tell him to set it in a sunny, ventilated area and see if the smell doesn't subside within a few days.

>>>>>>>IF the smell is from the Pronghorn..........

This response submitted by OPT on 11/30/04 at 11:16 AM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

IF, the smell is from the pronghorn, it is from the scent gland or the horns were not removed and cleaned.

The scent gland or "cheek pouch" gland MUST be removed regardless of the tanning method used. To do other wise is poor taxidermy technique. The same is true about the horns. The sheath must be removed from the cores and everything must be cleaned, preserved and then "bondoed" back together. To do other wise is poor taxidermy no matter how "good" the mount looks.

OPT

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu