Fluid in Whitetail Face.....Troublesome!

Submitted by George Sodemann on 11/2/04 at 8:51 PM. ( ) 4.250.144.183

I recently took in a whitetail which had hung for a day causing much fluid to collect in the face. The head was removed and frozen to be further skinned later. Having much difficulty properly skinning the face in the eye/ear area as the skin is thick and non-pliable from fluid build up. It's as if thick cardboard were inserted into the skin itself. Is heavy salting for 1-2 days a solution to this problem to "draw out" this stiffness? Anyone ever seen this? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu

should be fine

This response submitted by joe birchler on 11/2/04 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 216.49.105.6

when you flesh and then salt it the fluids will all be drown out and it should tan fine as long as it was not too warm when it was hanging

jelly face

This response submitted by newbirdman on 11/3/04 at 5:22 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

I once got a white tail in that looked like Mike Tyson beat the hell out of it . Its face was so swollen and puffed up . When I skinned it , the skin had a jelly like substance all over it . It fleshed out like any other cape and the head was normal looking after being mounted . Now I dont know what you mean by it was like cardboard if it had fluid in it . You shouldnt have any problem fleshing with a knife . Rick

Return to Gamehead Taxidermy Category Menu